add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
jnanof

62 months ago

for a customer who wants to be in the $500 price range. Son plays WOW. I figure he might have to disable shadows but raids should be fine with that CPU. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jnanof/saved/Rm49TW

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $114.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard *Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard $50.98 @ Newegg
Memory *G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $54.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card $99.99 @ Newegg
Case Antec GX500 ATX Mid Tower Case $29.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply *Rosewill Stallion 500W ATX Power Supply $29.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive *Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer $12.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $102.98 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $551.89
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-03 16:34 EST-0500

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pCsWP6

I would do something like this. The CPU is great but the bottleneck is the GPU try to make it even. we can get a 6300 and the GPU will still most likely be the bottleneck.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

WOW is pretty low end graphics and the 25 man raids are very cpu intensive. I wanted to get a better CPU for that. Though I think the 6300 would do well.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You are correct and after doing some research It is one of the few games I have ever seen that actually uses multiple cores. Even more impressive is that it will use all 8 cores. I revoke my above statement. Unless he intends to play other games you will achieve better performance with your posted build.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

thx. I was not aware that WOW was utilizing multi core. Where did you find that info? I thought it was 1-2 core but intensive. The g3258 OC would be great but not very future proof. My husband has the 8320 and a gtx660 , 1080P and does raids on full graphics where I have to turn everything on low with my old Q6600. The 7850 1GB does well for graphics in areas that does have a lot of other "human" players. I can't even play BF4 multiplayer though, but can play single player on ultra.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

i just googled it and read through some forums. well BF4 is more GPU demanding were WOW needs the CPU so it doesn't matter much, but both builds should work well.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube