add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrade from an old Optiplex 745(Be honest, how terrible did I do?)

adamjoliver

62 months ago

This is an upgrade from my old Optiplex 745 with its Pentium D 950. Main uses will be heavily modded MC with more then 20 FPS on lowest settings(150-170 mods, no shaders), TF2, Gary's Mod, and perhaps some streaming/recording(which is why I didn't go for the Pentium G3258). I have a friend who will be giving me a mid tower ATX case(don't know the exact model, so didn't list it). The Radeon is a cheapie I had bought for the optiplex to take some load off of the aging cpu. I know the GPU is sucky and plan on upgrading it when I have the money since the budget is really tight. Lastly, I do plan on overclocking the processor. Suggestions on what I could do better/what I really screwed up on and notes on the performance gain I will get over the optiplex is welcome! http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6rQgpg

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

actually. good build. i normally recommend intel for MC, but with the streaming in there I think the AMD is a better choice. you could opt for the FX6300 if youw ant a bit more power.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I kept flip flopping between the athlon and the FX series. I'm probably gonna stick with the athlon due to it being a bit cheaper and more recent(in case I want to upgrade in the future, I'll be on the socket AMD is developing for...hopefully.)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Only thing I would ask is if you really need a terabyte. Assuming you've already got an HDD, you could pair it up with a slightly more expensive SSD (~$60-70)to hold the essentials and give your operating speed a kick in the... rear.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm used to having a terabyte of storage to be perfectly honest, and speed of file opening and OS starting has never been an issue for me even with my optiplex, due to using a Linux based OS. I do already have an HDD, but it's definitely showing its age(occasional grinding sound.) That said, I do have plans on grabbing a SSD once I have the money for it(SSDs do WONDERS for MC chunkloading.) But first, I gotta upgrade my Radeon.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

good call. that card is ancient man. SSD's are amazing, but a 7200rpm HDD will suffice.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube