add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
N8rough

62 months ago

I made the 600 dollar budget gaming PC from the front page (although they changed the ram since then) and the AMD Radeon 280 R9 was trash. I kept losing the connection to my monitor, freezing my pc, and after 2 different completely new cards, I'm getting a refund. The PC runs fine from the motherboard and it's completely related to card. I got it on Newegg all the reviews have been from the last 2 weeks and they all are negative, so I think it was a bad batch of cards. At any rate, I need another card, preferably not an AMD, that is around 200-250ish and will work with my stuff.

I just want a basic low end gaming machine, nothing fancy. I already have a PS4/XB1 and would like a PC to pick up the games from last generation I missed (and run them better than a PS3/XB360).

I have:

Corsair CX Series 500 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 456 Power Supply CX500M

Seagate Barracuda ES 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 32 MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive ST31000340NS-Bare Drive

Intel Core i3-4150 Haswell Dual-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 54W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4400 BX80646I34150

ASRock H97M Anniversary LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Team Elite 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TED38G1600HC1101

I3, Win7 64, with 8 gigs of ram.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

On the cheap I say a R9 270. Price to performance ratio is very good. Will beat current gen consoles performance hands down and can be had for around $110-$140.

If you need a little more, oomph. I'd say R9 280 or GTX 760. $160-$190

If you want a beast of a card at a decent price then I'd say a R9 290. It'll max out pretty much all of the most demanding PC games out. $250ish and up.

To keep cost of your build down and the fact your mentioning less demanding slightly older games I think a 270 would be very fitting.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I'll check those out. Is there a big difference between ram in te cards? Like, if one has 2 and the other has 4, will that make a big difference?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Video RAM isn't the most important factor. A 270 with 4GB VRAM wont out perform a 280 with 3GB. Where more VRAM comes in handy are at higher resolutions or with certain games with ultra high res texture packs. (which isn't the norm) If your running a multi-monitor setup or ultra high res monitors then you'll want more VRAM... For those applications you'll also want a top dollar card which I feel isn't what your going for.

For standard 1080p single monitor gaming a 2GB card is fine. Most titles wont even use the full 2GB.

If your looking for affordable options then these might be it.

270 http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9270acnfc

280 http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9280atdfd

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube