add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
bigbopper180

62 months ago

It's been about 5 years since I did any comp building but I've got some spare cash and this what i plan on the new beast to consist of. I would love any thoughts or opinions. Thanks!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RdcjLk

P.S. I dont overclock, thus the lack of a CPU cooler. If you think it would be a good idea regardless, let me know.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you need CrossFire 270X's or could you settle for a single 970?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input. This is why I'm glad I posted. Not being super knowledgeable on dual graphics cards, my gut says the crossfire would be better quality. Is this not the case?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It all depends.

How many monitors will you be using? What is the resolution?

What games do you expect to play?

Will you be doing any heavy CAD or Photoshop work?

What outputs do you need?

What's your budget (accordingly, you can water cool your GPU(s) pretty cheaply)?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this just for gaming? What resolution and refresh rate monitor are you using? Are you AMD all the way or open to using Intel or Nvidia?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

This is strictly gaming. Examples: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, etc.

I'd like to keep the overall rig around the $1200 range. I'm open to liquid cooling it if it's easy to do and would help significantly. I've never attempted it before.

As far as the monitor goes...currently just 1 but will likely be 2 down the road. Resolution is 1920x1080 and lets just say its also need of an upgrade that will take place on a later date.

Ultimately, I'd like to run the latest games today (see above) on the highest graphics settings without noticeable issues.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

OK, I'd change quite a lot. Games won't use 8 cores or 16GB ram, an I5 with 8GB ram will outperform it. You are better off getting one powerful gpu that fits your requirements, the 970 will have no problems with any current game at 1080P.

The 970 is power efficient, this build will allow you to add a second card later should you feel the need for 3 monitor gaming or higher resolution.

Replaced the optical drive and wireless card with ones that are more reliable from my experience.

Don't worry about the compatibility note, drive cages in that case are modular so won't cause you problems.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $28.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $126.97 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $80.97 @ OutletPC
Storage Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $79.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card $354.98 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT Phantom 530 (Red) ATX Full Tower Case $104.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $14.98 @ OutletPC
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $18.76 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1200.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-03 22:42 EST-0500
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

This is fantastic! Thanks a lot for the info. The only question I have now is if the CPU cooler is necessary since I dont overclock?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

A CPU cooler is necessary, you can use the Intel cooler that comes with the I5 but it's a bit noisy. Personally I'd still add the evo cooler as it's quiet and efficient, but you don't have to.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube