add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New to building--Feedback on proposed first build?

svenkatesh

62 months ago

Hi All! I'm new to the forum, the site and to pc building in general. Had a decent chat with some friends to pick out a parts list for a decent build. Background: I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I've got a budget of 800-1000 for a decent first gaming desktop. Thoughts, comments are much appreciated. I went with just an SSD as I plan to only put the OS and a few games on it. I have an external for additional storage. I'm also highly unsure about the video card--I think my choice is solid. I believe I want to stick to the Intel CPU and nVIDIA GPU, from what I've heard.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2JjhBm Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2JjhBm/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon) CPU Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40-W 105.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Newegg) Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg) Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg) Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon) Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon) Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US) Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US) Total: $939.92

Cheers, Srinivasan

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $179.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.97 @ NCIX US
Motherboard ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $74.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $54.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $104.99 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card $329.99 @ NCIX US
Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $884.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-04 01:36 EST-0500

Swapped to a 212 EVO. Runs fantastic, cheaper

May want to get a Z97 board, though, if you plan to OC. If you don't then we could find a cheaper CPU and/or ditch the cooler

GPU is solid

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the tip. The original reason behind the cooler was to compensate for the smaller tower (microATX). Also, I wasn't planning on overclocking. Given these two, what's your recommendation for CPU/cooler.

For the GPU, is there much difference in the different GeForce GTX 970 models? I was just recommended to get an EVGA build.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

From what I've gathered it's like this

ASUS: quietest of the bunch

MSI: bit more powerful than the ASUS but not as much as EVGA, supposedly better cooling (next to the Gigabyte one, I'd assume) with the new Twin Frozr V, but there's a bit more coil whine on it. Can be manually OC'd further via Afterburner and such tools, possibly could match EVGA card

EVGA: most powerful out of the box, good amount of coil whine

Gigabyte: Larger cards due to the massive coolers they put on their GPUs. Their 970 is the only one I know of with a back plate, too. No idea on the coil whine.

Course, coil whine doesn't matter if one doesn't care all too much :p

Brand choice comes down to preference, IMO.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

I have the Gigabyte. The coil whine is surprisingly quiet. This card is quiet. After playing Far Cry 4 (maxed, 1080p) for about an hour my internal temps hit 60 and then the fans on the GPU turn on. Incredibly quiet, but once those fans kick on its pretty loud.

I agree. I think it comes down to Brand, pricing, and availability. I like the Asus Strix, but it was really hard to find so I settled on gigabyte and it works well.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm reading some Newegg reviews for both the ASUS and the Gigabyte. Both seem good. I'm still not sure what the Strix really does for this card. However, almost every review of the Gigabyte commented on the massive size of this card--given your experience, do you think this could fit into the microATX mid tower case I'm getting?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Its not that big. at least i didn't think so. um you can look up length and check, but it would fit in my Prodigy just fine. so I am guessing so.

The coolers are just different coolers. what matters on cards(assuming you can OC) is cooling and volume. how well does it cool and how quiet is it. so as stated above its a preference of brand.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The ASUS one has a backplate, I own one so I can verify. I would stay away from EVGA this time around because there are some thermal paste issues on the cooler, I'd personaly Say MSI or ASUS, but that's just personal preference

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I would stay away from EVGA this time around because there are some thermal paste issues on the cooler

I thought that was fixed with the ACX 2.0 cards, or has the problem remained?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I haven't really been paying much attention to EVGA after this accident. A quick google search might answer your question

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube