add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New build in progress... thoughts?

cltmaps

62 months ago

My build goal: My build concept

The use of this machine will be light/moderate gaming, photo editing/processing, other data analysis and processing tasks. I will be experimenting with overclocking, thus the Z97 board and K series processor. Think WoW and a couple of FPS type games, Lightroom, Photoshop, working with large stitched panoramas.

The idea here is a small(ish) form factor to fit in a smaller apartment and minimalist chic. I think there is a balance of processing power and efficiency here with some room for expanding storage and upgrading components down the road. The Fractal Node 804 case is a little bigger than i was thinking, but its styling is pretty nice, i really like the 'black box/cube' look.

This is a build in-progress - I've made some purchases already (case, memory, mobo, psu) and am buying the remainder of the parts over a couple of installations. Next to purchase are the graphics card, CPU cooler, and at least one of the SSDs, the optical drive, and the OS - with these I can get the machine built and running. After that will be the another SSD and HDD, probably another 16gb of RAM to bring the total to 32gb. The plan is to do the build with my son just before or right after Christmas, but having all this sitting around is making me squirm, not sure I'll be able to wait that long!

A couple of things I am a little undecided on: the cooler, the NH-D14 has great reviews, but I'm a little concerned about just how ginormous this thing is. The motherboard in this case is installed horizontally, that looks like a lot of weight hanging off the board. I've considered an AIO water cooler such as the h100i or the H90, but I'm really on the fence with these. I'm pretty set with the graphics card MSI R9 270x but I've thought also about the GTX 750 Ti - one of the benefits to going with the 750 is the lower power consumption, but I think I have enough PSU for this build.

Any comments or thoughts here are appreciated!

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I recommend a h80i instead of h100i because you might have some trouble fitting it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube