add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help ~$1000 build advice

Ryan.Fowler

62 months ago

This will be my first build. I know I want to spend around $1000. I know I love the gtx 970 (I want to run Arma/dayz on ultra, and far cry 4).

Any advice on the build is welcomed. Will I have enough cooling? Not looking to over lock at first, but I wanted the "k" version so I can later. Open to changing just about anything but GPU and CPU.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Ryan.Fowler/saved/HpdJ7P

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Since you're planning on overclocking in the future, you'll need a new motherboard. That motherboard is an H97 and you need Z97.

The Ripjaws X series 2133 are actually cheaper than the 1600s right now so you might as well.

And personally, I'd spring for a bit nicer of a case and PSU. If you're not immediately overclocking you can probably get by with the stock cooler to free up the funds. Other than that, there aren't really any faults with the 4690k/970 combo, espec. one as nice as the FTW.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the reply! Do you have any advice on a Mobo that would fit in the N200 case? I have no preference on the brand I just want one that will be reliable.

Edit: Would this be a good board to replace that one with: ASRock Z97M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z97mpro4

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

It looks good, though I do not believe ASRock's a-tuning is as nice as MSI's, Asus', and Gigabyte's. It's also not SLI capable, which I'm not a particular fan of, even if you don't see it in the future.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

How does this look?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $208.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $28.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $118.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $54.99 @ Newegg
Storage Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $65.95 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.65 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card $379.99 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $34.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer $16.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1032.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-04 15:36 EST-0500
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks good! I was just looking at that board. Is there a drop off between Ares and Ripjaws X? I don't plan to multitask a ton. Maybe two screens eventually, with steam on one and in-game on the other, but no editing, streaming, or anything like that.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

There shouldn't be. The difference between the two series is that ones in your build have heat spreaders (aesthetics mostly, though I guess they'd come in handy if you had a 9590...) and mine do not, which increases fan height clearance. They're both 1600mhz with a CAS of 9 (not that it matters, because if it differed, you aren't the type of user that would notice it. A lower CAS or higher clock speed is really only noticeable when benchmarking.)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Last question, since it is a compact case do you think I will have any temp control issues for the whole case?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube