add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Sofakingeasy

62 months ago

Hey folks,

So I currently work for a software dev and have very little idea what I am doing (what's new I hear you say!). In order to try and improve my PC skills I've decided I need to buy myself a shiny new computer. I intend to mostly use it for Video and photoediting, and some gaming. Realistically though I will mostly be gaming on it.

I'm pretty set on i7 & GTX 970, and the Dell IPS monitor, but unsure as to motherboards (not planning on SLI in future), SSD sizes, RAM speeds and how easy DIY building it would be. So if you'd be kind enough to have a quick look at the build list and perhaps give me some feedback I'd really appreciate it. I'm was aiming at spending 1500quid.

Cheers!

TL:DR N00b needs help with sweet build.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/WqYt4D

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 0 points

750 watt PSU is too overkill. Go with 500W since yours is at 356W

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe my card needs at least a 600w PSU?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The card only uses 145W.....

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The 600W number is based on worst-case PSU design, not a quality PSU that provides sufficient, and clean, 12v power. Look at the amp rating on the 12v output for a given psu, compare it to about 1.5* the combined TDP of the CPU and the video card, and that should give you sufficient overhead for age, other components, and even sensible overclocking.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube