add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Workstation Build Help

Bryan91U

62 months ago

Hi all, I am building a desktop - workstation for the first time, for my working purpose as an architect - So I am quite a noobie and I know nothing about Open CL or Open GL or the difference in different DirectX version.

This desktop-workstation will be only use for Work purposes. ( I don't game ) List of Programs I will be using are : 1) Adobe CC - Photoshop, illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, etc 2) Autodesk - AutoCAD (Intense), Revit (Intense-used), 3DSMAX + Vray 3) SketchUp + Vray 4) Rhino + Vray 5) BIM

I will be running Windows 8.1 pro 64bit

So, my work goes like this - From Planning to 3D Modelling to Rendering. While on 3D Modelling and Rendering, it will take pretty long to time (especially Render) and the computer will be on for intensive rendering for a long time.

This is the part list I have at the moment (incomplete) http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/rstq7P

I need help from experience user, especially from those who work with workstation.

Questions : 1) Comments on the pc parts that I had chosen. Is it recommended for my use? Or I should go with other parts? (Reason I go with 2011-v3 socket is that I read it is for enthusiast and I want something powerful enough, to not mess with the programs while I work. And I did not choose a Workstation motherboard because is too expensive and I don't think I need it yet)

2) Stuck with Graphic Cards. - So like I said, I am a noobie and did a lot of research on this build, but still can't decide on the GPU. I would prefer Nvidia GPU to be honest. So, I am stuck with GTX, Quadro or the hybrid Titan (that's what I read from lots of forums). So, which will suit my needs? I read somewhere that rendering uses CPU instead of GPU, I am not clear about that. I also read that getting mid-range GPU that have higher GB (Memory) will be better off than getting the highest end GPU like the GTX 980.

So, which GPU should I go with that is well-worth the performance and money? And also Faster Rendering Time.

One important thing is that, I am frustrated with laggy, slow computer. So, I want something that could run really smooth for me. I can't afford all the High-End parts unless it is necessary.

I hope to get help from here. Hope to hear from you all. Thanks in advance for everyone's suggestions/opinion/comments.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, rendering in many of those tools isn't really cpu bound when they're run on the right GPU. A quick rundown...

OpenCL uses the GPU for math (roughly an equivalent to Nvidia's CUDA), rather than graphical rendering. OpenGL is the standard for high quality 3d graphics. DirectX is Microsoft's competition for OpenGL that leans far more towards gaming (favoring speed over excessive precision) than OpenGL these days, and as far as DX versions go, higher = more features.

All of the Autodesk tools there and 3DSMAX are very capable of stressing a system's OpenGL capabilities to their limits. I've never worked with Rhino or BIM, but assuming they're in the same vein, they'd be geared towards the same range of hardware. Nvidia's GTX series are gaming cards, built first and foremost run DirectX, and they have their legs broken underneath them by firmware and drivers as far as OpenCL, CUDA, and OpenGL are concerned. You want Quadro with your workload there.

32GB of (for price and sanity reasons, lower speed) ram might not be a terrible change to make, depending on a) whether you plan to multitask while the system's rendering and b) the scale at which you're modelling things (bigger, more intricate models = more ram). I would also recommend a Xeon over an i7 for that workload, if only because the Xeon line is specifically targeted at handling a heavy load 24/7.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

HI poisonbl,

Thank you for your explanations and everything.

So, if I decided to go with a Quadro GPU, which model would you recommend? I am looking at either K2200 or K4200, because anything higher than K4200 is pretty expensive. Or I should go with K4000 if I can still find one?

So, 32GB DDR4-2400 would be much suggested ? I am taking 16GB DDR4-2666 because RAM can be easily upgraded. As I could get 16GB of same ram after few months if i needed, without taking out the old one.

I am planning to get 2 monitor or 1 x 34" monitor as I do multitask a lot. Multitask as in having Photoshop, SketchUp, Revit and Autodesk open as the same time. Especially one side, I need it to be rendering while another side, I am still planning/designing on other project. And for scale, I can go to a very large scale project, but if I'm doing large scale project, i might only have Revit on while other close, since I will stuck on Revit for quite long time for large scale project. So, for multitask, having programs open and running at the same time, would you suggest having higher Memory or Higher Speed?

I choose i7 over Xeon (recommended by a friend), because he said i7 has this i-feature that Xeon does not have. And i7 processor can be over-clocked while the new Xeon is stuck at its speed. So, if to choose Xeon, which one would you recommend?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube