add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build (Budget Gaming)

Grievv

62 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Grievv/saved/QHv2FT

Not sure if the 2 gpus are needed or if I could find 1 to give me the same performance. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome, since I'm really new at this. I've built computers before, but I haven't done a lot of research recently on all the parts options.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Budget?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't have a specific budget, as I'm still saving money, but I've always thought of it with the concept of Diminishing Returns. I want the best gaming PC I can get before the price/performance improvement curve sky rockets (if that makes sense). For those that just want a target number, let's say $800 tops. I would prefer, however, not to be too limiting with a budget number.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Then I made something like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9sPHrH

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. So you think the SSD is really worth it?

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

getting an SSD is defnitly worth it , i replaced my lapstops HDD with an SSD when the price was 1 dollar per gb..no regrets . youll notice a huge diffrence in booting speed and file transfer , also the fail rait is much lower than an hdd and doesent require defragment

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Would just get a gtx 970 if i were you. Always better to just have a single high-end card cause you get consistent performance and better energy efficiency in idle.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The power supply seems small for this build. I would recommend an 800 watt power supply for this build.

I subbed in a GTX 970 for the 2 Radeon cards that were in your current build list. The price changed to $724.81. The estimated wattage also decreased to 379 watts. The current power supply you have will be able to easily support this wattage. I wouldn't decrease it though.

The GTX 970 will also perform better than those two cards in your build. A higher end card will almost always be better than two medium to low end cards. If you put the 970 in, then in the future, when you have more money, you can add a second 970. 2 way SLI requires a different motherboard though. I swapped out the motherboard in your list with another inexpensive motherboard that can handle 2 cards. If you do go this way, then it makes sense to buy a bigger power supply. Adding 2 970 to this build would increase the estimated wattage to 524 watts. I would recommend a 800 watt power supply for this. I will post one build for 2 970s and another build with 1. They're both your builds, but slightly modified.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot! Since the 2 970 build is almost the same price as the 1 if you remove one of the cards, I think i'll probly start with something like that, then buy the second card down the line if I want to. The poster above also added an SSD to the build, would you recommend that as well?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't really think the SSD is worth it. I don't really care how caste my computer boots. I'll list pros and cons.

Pros: Much faster than a Hard Drive. An SSD doesn't have moving parts, so knocking it around won't damage the info already stored. I'm pretty sure that turning off your computer while it's running won't corrupt the SSD.

Cons: SSD's are way more expensive. HDD's generally have more storage space than SSD's.

It's really up to you though. It's a personal preference. I personally think that the current price of SSD's negates all the pros.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

2 970s:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $114.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $28.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $78.98 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $54.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $326.99 @ Directron
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $326.99 @ Directron
Case Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case $35.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $34.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1055.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-05 11:15 EST-0500

For more reading, check out my first post.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

1 970:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $114.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $28.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard $74.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $54.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card $326.99 @ Directron
Case Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case $35.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $34.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $724.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-05 11:18 EST-0500

For more reading, check out my first post.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube