add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Hello! 1st time build - no knowledge - how does this look?

Munial

62 months ago

Hi - I decided to jump on the DIY bandwagon for a gaming project, mostly solely to play Elite Dangerous!

Soo - I've cobbled together this built around the gfx card really, on the basis that I want something fairly robust that will stand up to ED and other demanding games for a few years.. also, it would be great to pickup an occulus when it comes along, so wanted something up to the task..

I've tried to be frugal in some areas, but are they the right ones? The mobo seems a little cheap for example.. and that cpu cooler, not sure there... that said, I'd rather spend money where it counts now than have to upgrade in no time or make do with something underperforming for the sake of a few quid.. Also, I want a nice quiet and cool rig..

As to if it all "goes" together, the compatibility checker is some comfort, but it would great to get some feedback from the experts as to any areas where I've gone over/underboard. The site is a fantastic resource by the way, so thanks for the help provided already!

cheers!

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Munial/saved/4rJNnQ

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

This would be my take on it.

4690k is generally considered the best bang for your buck overclockable cpu.

Stuck in the NEPTON since from what I've heard it performs around the same as the h100i and it's at a great price right now.

Mobo is around the same price, comes with less sata 3 outputs, but you're never going to use all those anyway and is also a z97 instead of a z87 chipset.

Stuck in an SSD for OS and games that benefit from it, you can get a cheaper one with less storage if you like, you probably don't need all that space.

I'd ask that you get someone else's opinion on everything I've changed, I'm far from an expert and everything I know or think I know I've learned in a few months, so I fully expect I've made some mistake.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the feedback, some good food for thought there..

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The mobo seems a little cheap for example

Lol, the Asus ROG motherboards are generally a bit pricey for the features they offer, although they're very revered. Partially for brand name, partially because they're really stable under load.

The partlist looks really good though! I'm sure you'll have a smooth experience with building it.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I really hope so, never attempted anything like it so hopefully I won't fry my precious parts somehow!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube