add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1H 2015 Hypothectical Build Thought Experiment

Teejers

62 months ago

So looking forward to 2015, I figured I'd put together a hypothetical build for a parts list consisting of hardware that is currently available or will be available in the first half of the new year. Naming conventions and pricing are carried over from what is currently available and just updated to indicate a step-up to the successive generation. Although hypothetical, I wanted to experiment with what a build could look like in a May 2015 timeframe and approximate the cost.

Without further ado, here is the build I came up with:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $102.74 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $155.98 @ Newegg
Case Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $187.98 @ Newegg
Monitor Asus PB287Q 60Hz 28.0" Monitor $562.88 @ SuperBiiz
Other Asus Z107 MAXIMUS VIII GENE $210.00
Other XFX Radeon R9 390X Double Dissipation Black Edition $399.99
Other Intel Core i7-4890K Broadwell-K $299.99
Other Samsung 850 EVO 250GB $119.99
Other Microsoft Windows 10 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $99.99
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2209.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-05 14:01 EST-0500

I chose to do this experiment in a microATX form factor as there is enthusiast support from motherboard OEMs and its a size that would limit the build from doing something unnecessary like having Quad SLI Geforce GTX 980Ti. In addition, the Corsair Air 240 case is a newer case on the market with lots of the same features as it's big brother the Air 540.

The CPU is the unlocked Broadwell-K chosen over the locked Skylake (that may or may not be available). I'll let overclocking make up the performance delta over the performance benefits of a smaller die size and DDR4 compatibility featured in Skylake.

Which leads me to...the Asus Z107 Maximus VIII Gene motherboard. We know that Broadwell-K will only support DDR3 memory, is designed for the 1150 socket, and is backwards compatible with Z87/Z97 chipsets. So this is a pretty safe bet that the VIII will be a lot like the Maximum VII Gene but with a few extra bells and whistles which I personally wouldn't take advantage of on a daily basis.

Now for some storage. The Samsung 850 EVO 250GB gets released as a direct market replacement for the current 840 EVO. Samsung continues to scale up its production of 3D V-NAND and drive prices lower in the SSD market. Its the next obvious step in the EVOlution of Samsung's flagship brand (see what I did there?).

So what do we put on 850 EVO? Well Windows 10 Home Premium (64 bit) of course. Windows 10 does away with the much criticized UI of Windows 8 and harkens back to the still popular experience that is Windows 7.

Last but certainly not least, this future build will be driving 4K gaming with the XFX Radeon R9 390X Double Dissipation Black Edition video card. Why the 390X? Well we know that it will feature a chip made on a 20nm manufacturing process and the new High Bandwidth Memory (HBM) 3D stacked memory. HBM is projected to provide 4.5x the memory bandwidth of GDDR5 which would absolutely be necessary for driving 4K gaming with high resolution textures and/or 4K multi-monitor gaming. That being said, a release of a competing Nvidia Geforce GTX or Titan card featuring HBM technology isn't expected until the release of the Pascal chip in 2016. A 980Ti or Titan Black II would certainly compete with the R9 390X but to what extent in 4K gaming content is the question if GDDR5 bandwidth becomes the limiting factor.

Anyway, enough procrastinating at work. What do you all think we'll see in the first half of 2015?

TL;DR. Created a hypothetical future build. What do you think?

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks good. Have the parts delivered by drone.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Goes like this: Everything available is alright (though the PSU is a bit too overkill imo). And anything unavailable except the graphics card is just wrong, mainly related to the Broadwell K series. If you just read the news about Broadwell itself your current mind state should be disappointing, since it's like:

It's heeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr delayed

Just a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii delayed

Wait a seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeccccc it doesn't work properly.

What's out about Broadwell? Just the Broadwell-Y and look at the reviews, it has issues but most of them are related to the manufacturer.

So, what's in Intel's mind? Release Broadwell-Y, then hop into Broadwell-M then finally (after I don't know how much time) release Broadwell-K.

Broadwell has been missing lots of target dates, and I'm leaving a penny here that it will definitely miss the Q2 target (if there was a Q2 target at all).

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like my Samsung 850 EVO pricing prediction is initially off by $20. Though we'll see in 6 months how far down the introductory price of $139.99 goes. Samsung 850 EVO

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube