add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do I even need a CPU Cooler for my build?

budmonster

62 months ago

Dumb question but I'm new to building PC. Someone told me over on Reddit that a CPU Cooler isn't necessary for my build, that it's a waste of the of $30?

Parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/budmonster/saved/DRZqqs

Does my build need it? I'd love to save the $30 yet I don't want to be too cheap and need it later on?

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

You do not need it.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

that's a locked cpu, the stock one is ok.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Not to be pedantic, but you do indeed need a CPU cooler. You DON'T need to buy a separate one. The CPU you are getting has one included.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

a valid point in case he didn't realize the CPU includes a stock cooler, which is all you need when running at stock speed.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It thermal paste/compound needed? I bought that at first but returned it as well b/c I was told it wasnt needed?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

it's pre-applied to the contact area on the cooler.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The Intel retail cpus come with everything you need, just install it and your good

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Since you're new to building, I'll just point something out since it sounds like you're interested in saving money...the Z97 chipset (motherboard) is designed for overclocking and your CPU is locked (non "K" series) so cannot be overclocked. An H97 motherboard like the one below would be the more logical choice, unless you wish to keep the option open for upgrading to an unlocked CPU later, or if you'll want to Crossfire (dual GPU)...

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h97anniversary

Not a huge savings, but just wanted you to know about it.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the heads up and I appreciate you actually care.

I was told that that mobo would be great in case I wanted to OC in the future, the mobo seems to have a lot more features. I was just hoping the need to upgrade the mobo in the future. Is there a mobo with the same ports and features as the one I bought has except it'll go better with my CPU? I don't mind returning the mobo, I just want to make sure the mobo you choose has the same features or more.

Do you think I made the right choice?

Oh, and I'd be interested in dual GPU later down the line but I dont' think the PSU I just ordered could handel it?

I've been struggling to find the right PSU as well. I just ordered the https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HW979AQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 XFX TS Gold 80+. I was going to get a Corsair 600w but PCPP says my watt output will be $438. It's not shipped from Amazon yet so If you feel like can do better let me know.

Edit: How much would it cost for an i5 that can OC? How much more would it be than the $170 I paid for my i5? Edit 2 : Nevermind, CPUs are non-refundable at Newegg.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If I return the cooler and get the $30 back, would you upgrade anything else from the build?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Lots of questions! LOL

The i5-4690K is $40 more than the one you chose.

Since you've already ordered everything I think you're fine...typically people wait until they've exhausted all Q/A before ordering but there are no issues with the parts you've chosen, just some considerations that were ignored.

The H97M Pro4 board would save you about $30 from the Z97 board you got and can do Crossfire and has overclocking capabilities (not nearly as good as the Z97 though).

That 550W power supply will be cutting it very close if you do Crossfire that GPU, 650W would have been better.

The savings of returning the cooler and switching to the H97M Pro4 would cover the bump up to a GPU like this... http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-r9270xdc2t2gd5

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I canceled that PSU order, which PSU should I get? I was about to order it but I was able to cancel in time. It was a good deal for $68.

Yeah sorry for the questions, new build and my first. I'm phycing myself out, pretty nervous lol. Making sure I got all my parts now and I do miss anything that I beat myself up about later.

I just called Newegg, I'm returning the CPU cooler.

They also said they would do an exchange for the CPU long as its not opened, she put a note in my account.

The closest CPU that I could find that can be OC was the Intel Core i5-4690K http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KPRWB9G/?tag=pcpapi-20

It's $219 (can't afford anything higher) vs the i5 I have now at $169, so with the $30 I'd get back from the CPU cooler, I'd end up forking up $50 to get the CPU that I could OC. Worth it?

And funny, that http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h97anniversary you listed in your last post, I already have that, it's the one I have to return.

Wait until all the parts get here by Sunday, all I need is the PSU and one other thing and I'm sure I'll be driving everyone crazy.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like you got a little confused...if you get the 4690K so you can overclock, you WILL need that cooler that you're returning.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Just stick with what you have already got. The stock cooler is fine as are the rest of the parts and you should be happy with the results providing you are not expecting top level performance. If you have already got a aftermarket cooler return it as you will not need. If you don't mind waiting then you can return the motherboard and get the same model H97. Here it is http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h97pro4

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

No, you won't need one. Use the stock one.

• 62 months ago
  • 0 points

If you plan on overclocking, it's best to have one. Not really necessary if you don't.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

He has a locked CPU

• 62 months ago
  • 0 points

They're idiots, of course you need a CPU cooler otherwise your CPU would explode the second you turn your computer on.

Now whether you need a non-stock cooler is up to you, usually the cooler included with most CPUs is designed to properly cool them when running at stock speeds, though using an aftermarket one won't hurt if you want lower temperatures.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube