add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Dream Machine workstaion/gaming build

kimosabe

62 months ago

I'm getting closer. This is what I have so far. I'm seriously thinking of changing the Case to a different white case like the Cooler Master Stryker. Any suggestions for a good power supply that is cheaper to lower my costs so I can put savings into other components? All comments welcome. Thanks

Budget is about $2500 Not including Monitor/keyboard which I already have (32" and 26" monitor). I plan to in future buy another GTX980 for dual Sli when years go buy and I need more.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor $381.88 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $109.99 @ Micro Center
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $4.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $357.99 @ NCIX US
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $199.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $169.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $169.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $164.99
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card $550.98 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case $179.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic X Series 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $169.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer $9.75 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit) Purchased For $69.99
Case Fan Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans $27.98 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM 71.7 CFM 120mm Fan $28.26 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2596.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-05 21:00 EST-0500

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Dude, you reek of money :P So... PSU wise, if we are talking about maxing this beast (which means going 3-way due to limitations on CPU) it would be around 770/800W according to PCPartPicker. Plus the Overclocking you would need around 1000W. Anything more than that it's kind of wasted since you won't be adding much.

Some PSUs that might come in handy:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/silverstone-power-supply-sstst1000gevolution

My brother is using the 850W version and he is loving it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-rm1000 Corsair, why not? A bit cheaper I guess?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/thermaltake-power-supply-pstpd1000mpcgus1 A semi is alright I guess?

BTW, I wanted to know where will you put those fans? And why not getting a blu-ray?

What's your budget btw?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for suggestions. (1) budget is about $2500 not including monitors/ keyboard which I have. (2) my last desktop purchase was in 2007 one I'm still using and have maxed out all poss. upgrading I can do so I'm going all out bc I want this to last. (my laptop is only 2 years old so I get by). (3) I guess I can cancel the fans, they are more for looks. I'm thinking of at least cpl high Static Pressure fan since LinusTechTips recommends them. (4) Thanks for PSU research - looks like in the end for Future upgrade I have keep PSU over 1000watts.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess you are good as you are. Remember that you can only 3-way SLI at most, 4-way is definitely out of question (and who uses 4-way SLI anyways?) You don't need to cancel the fans, they can stay, though I'm more curious where are you gonna mount them. Are you going for a push pull rad mount? High static pressure are nice to have for rads, everything else needs airflow. I guess airflow fans are kinda unnecessary since the position of your fans will fill everything out imo. About the PSU, anything under 1000W PSU will be like "er......." and anything over 1000W is definitely overkill. If we max out your system it would look like:

OCed 5820K to at least 4GHz

3xGTX980s in stock/mild overclocked settings

2 SSDs in RAID 0

some HDDs around

maybe 32GB/64GB of RAM

so in this picture things might get a bit crampy when getting a 800/900W PSU.

Have you considered M.2? Though for the time being I'd rather ask you stay on the 850s :P

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I did not consider the M.2 and don't know much about it. Asus Deluxe X99 and X99-A can Both support M.2 SSD cards. Also Does anyone think the Asus X99 Deluxe is overkill? I'm thinking of dropping to Asus X99 Pro or even low cost Asus X99-A. What are the real differences between the 3?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

to clarify, if I did eventually max it to 3 qty GTX980, added more hard drives, etc. then the 1000W PSU be enough? I'm going to look for a white one, I've only found 4 manufacturer's with white. Raidmax, NZXT, PC Power Silencer, Fractal Design.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It is. 1000W is a lot of power, are you aware of that? If you are still unsure, go with 1200W, it will be more expensive.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I was hoping to get away with 850 watts for lower cost, but if I have to change PSU in future I will stick with 1000w. thanks

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

is there a tool in pcpartpicker to determine how many watts needed for maxed out 3 video cards, hdd, sdd, and stuff. I'd like to check it out if there is a tool. or do you have to add in all imaginary future parts and it doesn't allow you to select a 300 watts supply or something?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Good catch on the blu-ray - I did consider it, but I did not choose bc I have a dedicated Sony blu-ray connected to my TV. I barely use the DVD/CD on my pc now except for the occasional Netflix old school sci-fi movie that only comes in CD. Mostly I use digital storage. unless there is something I'm missing out on in life. * Does the future include round disks or will they go the way of cassette tapes?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

At this rate we will be all using External HDDs, TBs for days. My build doesn't feature a DVD Writer because SWAG.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I noticed you built one pc with Cooler master case and another with Corsair. Which one did you like better?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The Corsair is used by my brother, and the cooler master is used by myself. I will admit that the Cooler Master one is overpriced now I look back but I chose it because of its looks. The pairing was alright back at the time (December 2013), i5 4670K and GTX760, but 3/4 weeks later AMD decided to release their R7/R9 series. So sad :( . One thing I hate about my build is the overclockability of my CPU, not overclockable at all (I'm one of people who demanded Haswell Refresh :P ). Everything else is good, the RAM works well (I found myself magically with 24GB of RAM due winning a giveaway) though I want to get rid the Corsair sticks for better overclocking (2400MHz, maybe 2666), my sticks can take it.

Regarding the other build, it's an older build made in August 2013, I was a complete noob at that time, 1st build, lots of mistakes made, lots of bad influences from laptops, so I rushed with 4770K (initially I had in mind the X79 platform) plus the Z87 OC Formula. I could have definitely saved some bucks over there, though it's still a very powerful build, the CPU overclocks so well (sometimes going to 5GHz with just closed loop), the motherboard has nice features, the graphics cards is a beast and it's necessary for my brother. It's a shame that I've only spent at most 2 months with that computer.

Right now I'm finding myself with performance issues (MOAR power), so I'm split into upgrading into the i7-4790K or upgrading the GPU to a GTX970. I love my build, and I love my brother's, but I've found myself sticking to my build, it gets extremely familiar when I use it.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-case-cas340ww1

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-case-cah440ww1

Above are 2 cases that I like, otherwise this build looks great!!!

As for your power supply... you only need 500 watts (So 700 for future upgrades) to run this build. I recommend this one

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-power-supply-hale90v2850w

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

awesome, I didn't even think about making sure to get matching white colored PSU. for future OC which I don't plan to do right away, I think I'm going to have to go little higher watts for PSU

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

what do you think of the Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 Case? pricey at $209 but it got Elite Award Tom's hardware.

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/62075-white-cases

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It's expensive... probably not worth your money If you have the money though GET IT

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Can I fit 3 Video cards in a Mid Tower or will I need a Full Tower?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It really depends on: Which PCI-E slots it will occupy (and which one will take on the case) and the length of the cards musn't touch the HDD cages. For the X99 Deluxe, it has 1 possible configuration: x8 on 1st slot, 2nd slot and 4th slot. That means it will take 6 expansion slots. So make sure that those 6 slots you have enough clearance for those video cards.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

this is my final list. please look it over very carefully if you can. I'm about to spend a lot of money but this needs to last 5 years.

http://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/62194-mega-white-lightning-machine

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube