add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is it ok to buy a used internal hard drive?

b.jones_32

58 months ago

Just wondering bargain shopping for my build

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Since a 1tb hdd is only $60 how much do you think you're going to save? Why take the chance and also lose a warranty?

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

When you mean used as in "Refurbished", then yes because you still have the same warranty, albeit lesser period as a new one for a lower price. But if you are referring to used as "used by someone else and reselling it", then no - you have no idea how much lifespan is left on the device before it fails. Remember that the hard drive has moving parts so there is no guarantee that the previous owner did not leave the hard drive spinning 24/7 in his old setup..

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally wouldn't, just make sure you know how long it has been used for. Hard drives can die pretty quickly.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Let's say you save $40 buying a used drive. Eight months later, it fails. How many hours of work will you put in to replacing the drive and recovering the data? More than $40 worth? More than $100 worth?

A factory refurb is about as "used" as I'd be willing to go with. (If you do happen upon a used drive of unknown service history, the very least you should do is run a complete SMART report on it before committing any data to it.)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube