add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Dual Boot / Video Editing Build Advice

HiDEF

62 months ago

I'm looking into building a dual boot machine that can run Windows and OS X Yosemite. This machine will be used for Adobe Premiere (along with other Adobe products) and some gaming. I want OS X to be my primary OS with Windows being my work OS (video editing).

This is what I have but please feel free to give suggestions.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/HiDEF/saved/CQrwrH

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're going to overclock your CPU, you should probably get a cooler of some sort, and if you're going to be storing a lot of video, a higher capacity HDD might benefit you.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

As of now I won't be over clocking.. What about the video card? Should I get something different? Will this one work with Yosemite?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're not going to overclock, no point in getting an overclockable cpu (ones with the k at the end) unless you plan to in the future, in which case make sure your mobo actually supports overclocking I7s (I don't know which ones do, sorry).

After a quick google search, most people are saying it works straight out of the box, but I'd go have a look around google yourself to verify.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

might want to get 2 qty SSD drives for Raid 0 performance. I just got a new Hybrid Hard drive myself and I like it so far. I haven't done any speed tests yet and I didn't install any programs on it to push it. have you seen the Nanoxia deep silence case? I'm checking one out now myself for my new build. Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler under $30 if you are on budget.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Go for 2-4 smaller ssds because boot times get worse and worse with more and more programs on ssds

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

So HDD is the one thing I need to look into?.. I guess my biggest concerns are mono and video card. Anyone who can shed some light into those two parts, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, is this build powerful enough to render video with no hiccups?

Edit: Should I get two 128 SSD, one for each OS?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You should probably get 1 and partition it so each partition is for each os.

Also, this is my take on it:

AMD build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xkMQBm Intel build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RQJDMp

And they both would definately be powerful enough.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Correct me if I'm wrong but, from what I've read, AMD doesn't do well with OS X.

[comment deleted]
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't quite understand your statement.

A hackintosh is a PC converted to run OS X.

Wiki explains it better:

OSx86 (from Mac OS X and x86) is a collaborative hacking project to run the Mac OS X computer operating system on non-Apple personal computers with x86 architecture and x86-64 compatible processors.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm starting to second think the mobo; should I consider other options?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube