add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
gschumacher

62 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GqjQBm

I have wanted to build my own gaming computer for a long time and I have finally decided to commit to it. I decided to go with the i7 because I play a lot of guild wars 2 and I've heard a good cpu helps for the performance there. I was hoping you guys could tell me if this looks okay. Maybe I'm overkill somewhere where I could save a few bucks. Thanks for your input!

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know about guild wars 2, but most games out there only really need an i5 and 8gb of memory, though I personally multitask a whole bunch so if you do that 16gb is probably better. You probably don't need that much space on an ssd, a smaller one will hold your OS and some games just fine. If you decide on an i5, the 4690k is the best bang for your buck overclockable one. Also if you have the extra cash, sticking in another 970 for sli will give you really good performance.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah. I don't multi task on my current machine but I would if it could handle it. I was definitely thinking of putting a second 970 in there sometime down the road. That would be amazing.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally think the ~256GB SSD size is the sweet spot for price/capacity.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't need i7 unless you plan on doing video editing/rendering. Don't need 16gb RAM either so can downgrade that to 8. If it's just for gaming, you also don't need 3 tb of storage, or 256gb ssd. If you're only playing Guild Wars 2 the GPU is also an overkill, however that card will hold you for a long time so could keep it if you want, but an r9 280x with an i5 4690k is more than enough to run that game smoothly. Other than that it looks good.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube