add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My first attempt at building a PC. Expensive Gaming PC £3000 budget. Thoughts?

nexiros

62 months ago

Hi guys, thanks for dropping by. I'll appreciate any comments given and any constructive criticism.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/nexiros/saved/gPxWGX

This will be my first gaming rig that I will build myself and I was wondering if you guys could critique my build.

Usage wise, I mostly play games and browse the web, watch movies/videos, stuff like that. I don't play too competitively (no mlg or anything xD) but I do enjoy casual competing with friends. Games I am playing most now are Diablo 3, and TF2 until Overwatch comes out (Blizzards new FPS). I will probably play more FPS games in the mean time though now that I have the power with this build.

For the display, I went for 4k over the ROG Swift purely for the fact that I'm not a twitch gamer so probably won't notice the higher refresh rate that much and I feel the power that I have for this machine would go to waste on a single ROG Swift screen. I am considering the new 4k Acer monitor with G-Sync capabilities to make use of that but not sure if its worth the extra £100.

It says I have a few compatibility issues: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler and Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition ATX Full Tower Case are not compatible. The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6Gb/s ports are disabled. Not sure if anyone can shed some light on these issues and say if they're workable or if I'll have to swap parts. Also if someone could explain further about what it means about the M.2 slot.

I heard that the MSI GTX 970 OC version performed just aswell pretty much as a 980 so thats why I went with those to save a bit of money. Not sure whether the motherboard I've chose overexceeds what I need or whether I need more (for futureproofing).

A company has priced this up for me and say they'll source parts and build it if I want for £3200 which I'm a bit uphappy with. Or if I source the parts, they'll charge me £120 to build. Do you think that's a fair price to build or should I try building myself. Not sure how long this will take as they said its a "very complicated build".

Thanks again guys!

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

1) I thought about that but someone said if I ever was to run 4x 970's SLI in future, that 860W wouldn't be enough and 1000W would be stretching it. It says though that 970's can only run 3-way SLI? :/

2) I agree with you, I'll drop down as you suggest.

Would love some more feedback on my other questions and queries if you or anyone else has time though.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube