add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is 750w too much powahh?!

ZTBeast
  • 64 months ago

I am building my very first PC for gaming and school, did I totally overkill the PSU?

GPU: MSI GTX 970 ------CPU: I5 4690k

EVGA 750W

(I plan to SLI at some point down the road)

Comments

• 64 months ago
  • 5 points

Needed if you plan to SLI, and that's a great quality supply.

Thought for the day:

There's no such thing as too much power, only spending too much money on it.

• 64 months ago
  • 2 points

Untrue as having to much would mean the PSU being less efficient.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

PSUs only use the power they need. A higher rated psu may even be able to keep cool at what would be heavy loads for lower rated PSUs and therefore be more efficient

• 64 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes however PSU's are designed to more efficient around 60% to 80% of max load. If yo have a overkill psu then you will be hitting low on the curve and getting less efficient power.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree, a tier 1 with a great warranty (10 years) at an excellent price..

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

There's other issues than power too. Having a healthy reserve is good. But having quality is even better. You're buying one of the top units out there. Unfortunately at this time that is the lowest wattage unit of that quality that EVGA sells.

It's far better to spend the small premium and get the best unit than spend less and get way less in quality to try to match wattage.

TL:DR Just get the G2 and enjoy.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Good product but high price.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

The 750 EVGA G2 is currently $69.99 from newegg with $25 rebate

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube