add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Hoping for a look-over on my Budget Modded Skyrim/The Witcher 3 build 2.0

est4

62 months ago

The main uses of this build will be playing modded Skyrim and the Witcher 3, in addition to some light home recording. I have a tiny budget, seeing as I'm a college student with a pretty low-paying job, so any price reductions you guys think are possible would be appreciated. In regards to the other parts here, how's it look? Any major issues I'm missing? I'll likely be purchasing this monday, giving me something to reward myself with after finals. I'll be downloading windows on campus for free (tuition's gotta pay off somewhere right?) with my laptop and burning it to a disk for the build, as my appt does not have internet access for the time being. Also, Please don't tell me I messed up with the video card, I know its far from the best haha, but its bought and there's nothing I can do now.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor $73.99 @ Directron
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $14.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $59.99 @ Directron
Memory Team Dark 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $62.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.70 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GT 740 4GB Superclocked Video Card Purchased For $99.00
Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $19.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer $12.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill RNX-N150PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $9.49 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $452.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-06 15:04 EST-0500

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you could go with a cheaper case. I would recommend the pentium g3258. Otherwise it is worth the money.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2VVPYJ I highly highly recommend returning that video card asap if possible, for $9 more you could have got a R9 270 which is way better. I switched the ram to dual channel and got a atx motherboard

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Couple noob questions, just looking to grow my knowledge here. What are the upsides of the MOBO you suggested? Is dual channel that much better than single channel ram? My research said its only like a 10% drop. And with the video card, I mostly mod with crazy amounts of retextures, my research seemed to point towards having that extra VRAM would be pretty awesome in that regard, is this just wrong?

• 62 months ago
  • 0 points

Its mainly bigger and has more room for expansion. Dual channel is twice as good as single since your doubling your bandwidth. That 4GB of VRAM isn't going to be usable because its helpful to have extra VRAM for large textures but theres no point in having it if your GPU is too weak to render all those extra textures and you most likely aren't going to be using 4K textures. R9 270 would have been better than the the GT 740 even though it has 2GB less VRAM

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome! Thanks for the help, I'll look into getting a different video card. Out of curiosity, where are you seeing the r9 270 for $110? Really appreciate the explanations too, I'm trying to get educated on this stuff.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey thanks for the comment, the double channel thing is a moot point now haha, prices changed and its cheaper to buy x2 4gb. Huge fan of the witcher, that's awesome that you live there. And i'll likely upgrade the video card at some point, but for the moment my wallet won't let me

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube