add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Final build review: Input highly requested - first time builder

cbirzer

62 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $307.27 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $102.74 @ Amazon
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina Premium Ceramic Polysynthetic 1.75g Thermal Paste $4.81 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $119.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $123.99 @ Newegg
Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $99.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card $359.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT H630 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case $139.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $84.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $14.98 @ OutletPC
Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill AC1200UBE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac USB 3.0 Wi-Fi Adapter $24.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Wired Gaming Keyboard $69.95 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1476.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-06 17:02 EST-0500

First time PC builder here. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated with this build. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this and start putting it together. Specific things I am unsure about: Is the wireless adapter here sufficient? I will be using exclusively wireless connection. Is the full sized tower overkill? I know the Gigabyte GTX 970 card is pretty large so that was my logic with that. Any place you would recommend to save some money? I am not terribly concerned with the price right now but bringing it down another $100 or so would be ideal?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 3 points

everything looks great, but.. you don't need the arctic silver as the H100 already comes with pre-applied shin etsu which is a very good thermal paste. Also you have the G1 psu which is tier 3, get the G2 which is tier 1 (the best)and almost same price with mir, btw jonnyguru gave the G2 a 9.8 (almost excellent) and with a 10 year warranty. BUT GREAT BUILD!!!

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much for the feedback. Any thoughts about the wireless adapter?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

honestly no experience... I have an itx board with integrated wifi

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Looks like a nice, balanced build. You could save on the case and keyboard, for example, but it's entirely personal preference and if your happy to shell out on those parts, then your more than welcome to. You don't need a full tower, if you remove the case from your part list and click choose case, PCPP compatibility filter will automatically make sure the GPU will fit.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Really appreciate the feedback. Do you have an opinion about the wireless adapter?

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

I use ethernet so I have no experience with WiFi cards, sz :(

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks anyway!

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Everything is great....except that SSD. They have their problems such as high failure rates. Go for a Samsung 840/850 Pro/Evo, or a Crucial mx100. That PSU is so-so , for a little more you can get an excellent PSU: the EVGA G2. Its a superior power supply, I own one so I speak from experience. That gigabyte GPU is awesome, I have the G1 gaming and I love it.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Really appreciate the feedback. Do you have an opinion about the wireless adapter?

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Yup, I only use my PC over WiFi due to its location in my house. I bought a TP-link wn727n and it does its job. Its around 40ft from my router (802.11n @ 2.4GHz) and also between two floors in my house. I average around three bars, sometimes four. If I were you I would get a Netis wf2116, that's what I was going to get but it wasn't in stock. The reviews seem better for it too. Your connection will obviously vary from mine depending on location in accordance to your router, as well as the type of network you have (802.11b/g/n/ac). Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the one I purchased, but I will definitely be going for the Netis when I get a chance. Edit: you can also buy an internal card such as a tp-link wdn4800, although I prefer USB adapters since you can use extension cables to place them in a better location. Sorry for the long wall of text, that's just how I write :P

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, the full tower isn't overkill, since it's always nice to have the extra room to work with. FYI the gigabyte will fit in many mid towers, especially ones with removable hard drive bays. I use a fractal design define R4 and it fits with and without the middle hard drive bay in place. To answer your other question, if you really want to bring the price down, get an air cooler for the CPU and only 8GB of RAM. Although you will probably be happier just getting those now, rather than upgrading in the future.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Again, thank you so much for the help. It is very much appreciated.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't find the Netis WF2116 on pcpartpicker. Could you send a link for me?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry about that, it isn't on pcpartpicker. Here it is at Amazon. You can also find it at New egg, tiger direct, micro center, and Walmart.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

maybe its just me but am i going the wrong direction in AMD? i like this build but i was able to almost fully max on on your same budget? is intel this much better or?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sFZ7ZL

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

But you picked a 750ti, which is waaayyyy less powerful than a 970. And from what I recall the 4790k has much better single core performance than the AMD 9590. The 4790k also over clocks higher, produces less heat and requires less power.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube