add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Request opinions on first time build

Europass

62 months ago

Hello everyone. I guess title already says it all but I'd like to get some feedback/criticism on my build. I looked at a few guides before making the list but I'm sure I must've screwed up somewhere with it being my first time and all.

Thanks.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $244.48 @ Amazon Canada
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $32.85 @ Newegg Canada
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $9.99 @ Memory Express
Motherboard Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $223.98 @ DirectCanada
Memory G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $186.99 @ Memory Express
Storage Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $138.95 @ Amazon Canada
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $77.98 @ DirectCanada
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card $399.75 @ Vuugo
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon Canada
Power Supply SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $74.98 @ Newegg Canada
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1489.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-06 20:10 EST-0500

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You should consider changing the Cooler, because your PC will need a better one. Around 40-60 $ is good. Check this one out:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

The case seems good, but if you don't mind another 30$, try this:

NZXT Phantom (Black/Green) ATX Full Tower Case

Do noooooot take the seagates, they tend to crash a lot. try a WD Caviar Blue.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the response.

Regarding the cooler I too think it was fairly cheap but does the Cooler Master Hyper 212 really make a difference despite being the same price? Otherwise I was considering the Mugen 4 as a more expensive alternative.

Regarding the case I was choosing between this and NZXT Phantom 630 though it was because of cosmetic purposes. Do you think that NZXT has more to offer performance-wise than the Enthoo Pro to warrant those extra 30$?

Other than that, is there anything you or anyone else here would like to see changed about this build? Frankly I'm a little worried about my power supply since I haven't seen it recommended in any guide but it was available for a fairly good price in my region.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

And regarding the seagates I'm aware that you get roughly what you pay for with them, seeing as they tend to have twice the crash-rate of other hard drives (had a seagate external crash myself, though that was from a software error). I too would prefer a western digital one but seeing as they go for a lot more and that I'll be keeping a back-up I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If it's not a problem having only 1TB, take the following:

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

It's only ~50$, so you can take up to 2 if you want.

Btw, my build: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/9shNWZ

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Hm, if it's only 25$ more expensive for WD drives insted of seagate then that's worth considering.

I also see you're from Canada, I hope the country has open trade with the US to take part of these great prices.

It's a little disheartening knowing that I have to pay 30% more for the builds than most of the people here.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I'm from Canada, and if, and what do you mean 30% ?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I live in Sweden so prices here are generally 30% more expensive than the ones listed at PCPP.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Regarding the case, I think the NZXT is a little bigger, but isn't really better.

For the Cooler, I proposed a better one because I think your computer will overheat a lot. Don't worry, you can still buy a Thermal Compound, it helps.

For the power, what is the wattage estimation?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The wattage estimation lies at 356w, leaving quite a lot of room for improvement.

Otherwise I was considering this as an alternative, it has a little lower capacity but I've seen it recommended in several places http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii620bronze

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Not bad.

You can also take this:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx500m

It only has 500w, but it's really efficient and has more or less the same price as the seasonic.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

How much wattage would you consider another 8gb of RAM and another hard drive would take up? I'll be upgrading mine to 16gb in the future (since I topped my 12gb in my old computer regularly) so it'd be nice not having to switch the power supply with it.

Added the compound you're using for your current build :)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I took a look at rosewill power suppliers but sadly they don't seem to be shipped to my country (Sweden).

But the required wattage spikes to the double just because of an extra harddrive and two RAM, that's quite a lot. Either I'll just have to give up on the idea of adding another hard drive in the future and create a server insted or just go with the 750w power supply.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Really nice build you've got there, no suggestions.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, though I just changed it a little so feel free to take a look again :)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Phanteks Pro case looks like a great value for what you get. I almost bought that one but am going with the more deluxe Luxe.

Since you are buying Phanteks, have you looked at their CPU cooler? http://www.custompcreview.com/reviews/best-cpu-cooler-roundup-review-corsair-cooler-master-noctua-phanteks-zalman/17117/8/

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

For your main data hard drive, have you looked at new Seagate Hybrid drives? They are not that bad in price.

I own a 4TB version of this - it's like SDD with HDD. you can sort for Hybrid in picker. http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st1000dx001

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

For the SSD, I like samsung 840pro or the newer 850pro. but if it's too much, then at least the samsung 840 evo http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7te250bw

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

For thermal paste have you considered Tuniq TX4 version? doesn't make too much difference over artic but every degree counts if it doesn't cost more for the paste.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/tuniq-thermal-paste-tx4

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube