add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
PJFraser

62 months ago

I'm looking to build a gaming PC that will comfortably run most games on the market at the moment, but at a budget. I'm not interested in aesthetics, and I don't think I want to overclock simply out of fear of damaging components...

I've slapped a parts list together, but outside of pcpartpicker's compatibility checker telling me so, I've no idea how well the parts will perform together, and if I've invested appropriate amounts into the parts, or if I'm overkill in some areas and lacking in others. I'm very inexperienced as you can probably tell so it would be appreciated if you make things a bit easy for me :p

The parts list is here

• I don't have much criteria for the case, not too ugly I guess but I'm not fussed by aesthetics.

• I'd like a little extra wattage from the power supply to support upgrades such as an extra crossfire video card, though I'm not sure if its worth it, or how much extra wattage is prudent...

• CPU, motherboard and memory requirements are basically something that'll make sense with the rest of the build, preferably 2x4GB RAM

• I'd like a discrete video card with at least 3GB memory, something capable of comfortably running high end games on mid sorta settings, and the usual stuff like skyrim or whatever on the highest.

• I'm not sure if an ssd is totally worth it?

Hopefully nothing I've said is totally stupid, thanks to anyone willing to lend me a hand!

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 3 points

I changed the CPU, Motherboard, memory and video card for the better. The FX 8320 is a better CPU. The A10 was made to build systems without a video card as it handles that on its own.

Here are some links comparing the two CPUs.

Edit- The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO will be more than enough unless you plan to over clock the CPU beyond 4.5

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/395/AMD_A10-Series_A10-7850K_vs_AMD_FX-Series_FX-8320.html

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-FX-8320-vs-AMD-A10-7850K

The ram I picked has a lower CAS latency making it operate faster.

The R9 280 is a better card than the R9 270x. It will run games on high setting at 1080p.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor £103.50 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £24.97 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard £63.54 @ Aria PC
Memory Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £54.70 @ CCL Computers
Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £40.45 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £53.94 @ Aria PC
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card £141.99 @ Ebuyer
Case Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case £56.27 @ Ebuyer
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £56.34 @ Amazon UK
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer £11.89 @ CCL Computers
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £607.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-07 16:40 GMT+0000
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you very much, all of your suggestions seem solid to me! Still not sure about the psu though, is 600w about right for leaving the option of moderate upgrades open, or is it too much?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to add another R9 280 for crossfire the power supply will have to be upgraded as that would draw 640w of power.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah right, and how much would I trust these values? Are they accurate?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It is accurate as it displays the total wattage requirement for the parts in the build.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube