add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which Haswell Mobo is Best? ASUS Z87 Plus vs. Msi Z87 GD-45

voozers
  • 84 months ago

I'm debating these 2 mobos, my budget is preferably under $200. Should I also consider the Asrock Z87E ITX?

I'm primarily making a gaming rig and I plan to OC my 4770k to 4ghz (maybe a little higher depending on temps). I'm not sure if the Killer LAN on the MSI will make much difference. I also care about the sound card and I'm not sure which one is better (I'd rather not spend more on an add-on soundcard right now).

Also what's the difference between the MSI GD-45 and GD-65? From what I found the 65 is higher priced only because it offers 8 SATA ports vs. 6. I don't need 8 so 6 is fine.

Any input and opinion is appreciated!

Comments

• 84 months ago
  • 2 points

Go with the G45 over the GD65. No real reason to make the jump in price. If you live next to a Microcenter, you should be able to snag a great deal on the 45 with a 4670k. I also think the MSI is higher quality than the Asrock which is why I made the switch.

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree the 45 is a better deal than the 65. Now why ASUS over Msi? I looked up the specs on tigerdirect and it says there are 3 x16 PCIe slots on the ASUS vs 1 on the Msi. Good for maybe addons down the road.

Are there any other advantages that ASUS has over the MSI?

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

i would go with Asus. I was so close to buy g45 but i read so many many many reviews from other who got it. Too many were receiving their mobo dead out of the box. The ethernet killer (dont remember the name) was not working at all. And many other problems.Asus has much better quality mobos

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

At 200 dollars you have a lot of options the good news is due to quality design and consistency you have an outstanding experience on any one of the ASUS boards. This is important to understand as your focus on selection should be on which features are in line with your wants and needs.

Boards within your price point

Maximus VI Hero Z87 Pro Z87 Plus Z87 A ( does not have USB Charger +, or USB Bios Flashback ) Z87-I Deluxe Maximus VI Gene Z87 Gryphon

All of these boards also offer a Intel NIC known as the reference standard for NICs. The only one different is the -A which features the newest Realtek Gigabit NIC.

If you fist consider overclocking all of them offer the same class of overclocking.

http://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/8668-wondering-about-overclocking-on-z87-motherboards-all-asus-z87-mbs-48ghz-ddr3-2400-4-dimm-stability-tested-results

Even in regards to basic overclocking you have quick 1 touch options to enable a 4.2GHz OC on any of these boards.

Additionally you have great consistent functions and features like these noted below.

Fan Xpert II - Advanced fan control offered per header as well as offering 3 and 4 pin support. The advanced control parameters are offered in both the UEFI ( BIOS ) as well as with the OS. There are also great automatic profiling options which will automatically measure the fans for their min and max levels of operation. This allows for ideal profiling of the fans ( such as quiet or standard ) which are based specifically on your fans

USB 3.0 Boost - A feature that allows the bus protocol for transmission to be shifted to different operating modes. This can allow flash drives or high speed external devices to have much higher levels of performance.

USB Charger+ - An advanced quick charging option for mobile devices ( tablets, smartphones, eReaders etc ) It works under varied S states ( so sleep, hibernation or even with the system power off ). In addition it provides quicker charging times.

Ai Charger+ - An advanced quick charging option for iOS devices. It works under varied S states ( so sleep, hibernation or even with the system power off ). In addition it provides quicker charging times.

USB Bios Flashback - A specialized hardware implementation that allows for direct UEFI ( bios ) “flashing” updating or recovery. It can be executed even if the system fails to power on or post. Additionally it can be executed without a CPU, Memory / RAM or Graphics Card being installed. All that is required is a PSU to be connected and powered on.

AutoTuning Overclocking – A hardware based firmware/software utility. This application can auto overclock your CPU through a carefully developed automated routine which includes stability testing, voltage adjustment and temperature monitoring. This means your overclock is specific to the margin of your CPU as well as the thermal performance of your CPU cooling solution. When tied in with optimized voltage policies which maintain an adaptive vid for superior efficiency and as well as cap the voltage that can be supplied you end up with a very balanced and efficient overclock that also offers improve performance and optimally takes advantage of your investment in a Z87 board, K series CPU and solid cooling solution.

Outside of this the Hero is an outstanding choices and is focused at gamers and enthusiasts

Some of its advantages are

Maximus VI Hero 1. Offers superior power delivery components ( while all the ASUS boards feature great power components the ROG series are the best ) 10K rated capacitors, 60A rated chokes and high performance mosfets. Improved audio through SupremeFX isolated audio design ( a fully isolated design that improves sound quality and enhances bass and treble response. You also have improvement to gain performance meaning overall volume is increased. Same NIC as the other boards ( Intel ) but offers Game First II packet priority which can optimized network connections for lower ping and lower latency. Additionally can tune for general applications like Skype, Web browsing etc. Software package Include 1 year license for Kaspersky AV Full version of Daemon Tools Pro ROG RamDisk software suite Simpler one touch OC via CPU Level Up 4.2GHz, 4.4GHz or 4.6G

The Z87 Pro and -I Deluxe

are great options in that they offer integrated wireless

PRO - Dual Band 802.11N with BT -I - Dual Band 802.11AC with BT

Overall you really will get a great board regardless which one you go with just decide on the features and functionality along with the form factor.

Best of luck in the build and hope this helps.

• 84 months ago
  • -1 points

Id go with the ASUS.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube