add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build - Had to overhaul final parts list

dtimmons83

62 months ago

I had to revive this to share my updated build (again!) and to ask for feedback one last time. Original thread here: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/61721-first-build-am-i-good-to-go

I'd also like thank those who gave me advice again - you really sent me down the rabbit hole of learning about Cases, PSUs, CPU cooling, case cooling, and actually building! I had made a noob mistake of picking nice components and poor building parts. All part of the journey.

All of the points were spot on about the case, cooler, and PSU. For another $170 or about 10% more, I feel I have massively improved and rounded out this build. What do you think?

I thought I was stuck with the parts I had ordered until I found out that with Newegg Premier (free trial) you can return items at NO cost (newegg pays shipping and no restocking fee). This changed everything!

Case: Corsair Spec-01 --> Enermax Ostrog GT ECA3280A-BR. MUCH better case. It also comes with two 140mm Red LED fans, wihch I had to buy separate on the SPEC-01. After returning those fans, the price for this case was actually lower. Actually suits my build: more space, much better fan cooling and liquid cooling support, stylish Red!

CPU cooler: H60 --> H100i in push/pull. Much better OC potential now. Plan is to pull the HD cages and put the rad at the front as an intake and use the stock fans with the sickle flows (which have good static pressure for a cheap fan) for push/pull.

PSU: Corsair CX600M --> Corsair AX760. About $100 more but worth it. Found out the CX600M is not even officially Haswell certified. No good for an OC i7-4790K! The AX760 is pricey but a beast. Tier 1, 80+ platinum, full modular, cool, quiet, and plenty of power if I ever go SLI. Also its Red! =]

Case Cooling: H100i push/pull intake at front, included 140mm fans moved to top as exhaust. And I picked up 2x Masscool Black/Red LED 120mm for bottom intake and rear exhaust.

I think "Red Force" is finally ready to go! I certainly feel a lot better about it now. Many thanks.

Anything I missed? Check out the final parts list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $299.99
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Purchased For $84.99
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard Purchased For $119.99
Memory Team Xtreem 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2666 Memory Purchased For $159.99
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $209.00
Storage Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $78.00
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card Purchased For $369.99
Case Enermax ECA3280A-BR ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $74.99
Power Supply Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $159.99
Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $34.99
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit) Purchased For $129.00
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WN725N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter Purchased For $7.99
Case Fan Cooler Master SickleFlow 69.7 CFM 120mm Fan Purchased For $7.99
Case Fan Cooler Master SickleFlow 69.7 CFM 120mm Fan Purchased For $7.99
Case Fan Masscool BLD-12025V1R 60.0 CFM 120mm Fan Purchased For $8.49
Case Fan Masscool BLD-12025V1R 60.0 CFM 120mm Fan Purchased For $8.49
Case Accessory NZXT Hue LED Controller Purchased For $29.98
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1791.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-07 14:14 EST-0500

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice build...only thing I'd change is to ditch that WD Green HDD and use this one instead... http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st2000dm001

I've had nothing but trouble with the Green drives, and know many others who've lost a lot of data. Not saying EVERY Green drive is bad or that WD is bad, but Seagate has never failed for me. I have the 1TB Barracuda as my media drive.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. That's a little bit concerning since I went with the WD drive because I've never had problems with their drives in the past and it was cheap. Fingers crossed for no problems as I already have it.

It's only going to be used for backup and extra storage if I really need it. I went for the 500GB 840 EVO so I could comfortably run the whole computer on SSD.

Related question: I'll be pulling the HD cages out and will be left with one available 5.25 external bay. Can I fit both the HDD and SSD in there? Any issues doing that?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I did the same thing and put my HDD in 5.25" bay using one of these... http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Mounting-Bracket-Adapter-Metal/dp/B0094D8UGU

For my SSD, I used double-sided tape to mount it on the backside of the 5.25" cage. Not sure how you'd mount both the SSD AND HDD in one 5.25" bay but there could be some kind of an adapter for that.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

There is such an adapter! Looks like this will do the trick for $8.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994163

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh cool...I might have to use that for my next build!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice, I'm going to give it a shot.

Think I am finally done configuring! Thanks for the help!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks good. Enjoy your build!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool. Many thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube