add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is This Good For a First Time Build? (I can't change it now, but you guys can tell me if it is or not)

ShrekAndSanic

62 months ago

Hello guys, this is my final PC build list. I have been researching for several months and wondering if this is good or not. My budget is kinda strict and tried to get the best out of it. Well here it is and you guys can give me notes on what to change in the future.:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $249.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $28.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $126.98 @ Newegg
Memory Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $139.98 @ OutletPC
Storage PNY XLR8 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 280 3GB DirectCU II Video Card $194.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Enermax ECA3280A-BL ATX Mid Tower Case $66.98 @ Directron
Power Supply EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $34.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Monitor $99.99 @ Amazon
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $38.83 @ OutletPC
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $28.99 @ NCIX US
Speakers Genius SP-S110 1W 2ch Speakers $19.27 @ TigerDirect
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1152.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-07 19:27 EST-0500

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

What you chose looks mostly alright. Not sure about the PSU(it seems cheap) or the fact that the CPU is much better compared to the GPU.

If I were you and my intentions were mainly gaming, I would downgrade to the i5-4690k and get the R9 280x. Then use the extra money to try for a gold certified PSU. That i7 is known for being powerful, but only best used if you do heavy work or modding etc. The i5 is all you need for basic work and gaming, as it is quite phenomenal and a higher i5, while also over-clockable.

In that case, everything will be balanced for gaming. Its a preference though, and it depends on what you do with it.

Get another opinion on that, I don't have a ton of experience.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay. Thanks. I plan on gaming, video editing, and streaming, so that's why I went with an i7. I think I need to up my PSU some if I want to upgrade my GPU. I do want to overclock my CPU, so I definitely need to change the PSU ASAP since it'll reach around the maximum this PSU can handle. My build is estimated to have 411W and I have a 600W PSU.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea you should go for a PSU above $50, but hearing as your budget is strict and most of what you listed is useful to have, you might have to get more advice or choose based on what you prefer.

Other than that bind, your choices are alright for its intended purpose.

I have 5 mins. before I have to get off I can look at that for you :)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe look at the: EVGA 110-B1-0750-VR Its about 50 bucks, but idk

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's a tier list for PSU's. The one you have is tier 3: "Meets standard ATX specifications, though closer to the edges than Tier two units. These are still solid units, which still supply stable power to your system, though not ideal for serious overclocking"

The one Logger1235 suggested is tier 2B - "lower life span or slightly lower power output than rated. These are still great units, all of which are still within standard ATX specifications "

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I wasn't going to do a major overclock. Around 4.4GHz to 4.6GHz is what I want.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube