add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

£3000 budget first time build needs help...

nexiros

62 months ago

This is the v2 of the build I posted a few days ago. It has been redefined in a lot of areas.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/nexiros/saved/Nnnj4D

I would appreciate your guys feedback as I plan to start buying parts tonight and want to know your opinions on things.

CPU: Set.

CPU Cooler: Fairly set. Did some research and this that this will be the ideal water-cooling solution for my build but if you guys think otherwise, let me know.

Thermal Compound: Set.

Motherboard: Fairly set. For the price and what this motherboard can achieve, I'm very excited about it. Especially the ability to OC it much easier using the software.

Memory: Set.

Storage: Fairly set. I really want an m.2 SSD and this was one of the few compatible with my motherboard. Expensive but I think it'll be worth it.

Video Card: Fairly set. If there are better 970's that you think are more viable. By all means, let me know.

Case: Set.

Power Supply: Advice needed. This enough power for up to 3 970's potentially in the future? Taking into account I will be overclocking everything. 970's have fairly low power consumption though which is why I think this should manage it.

Optical Drive: Flexible.

Operating System: Set.

Monitor: Advice needed. 4k or this? I went for this because I mostly game and sometimes play FPS, also my SLI config would allow me to push for a surround setup in future with 2 more Swift ROGs. Don't think I'd ever have more than one screen if I went with 4k.

Keyboard: Set.

Mouse: Set.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Get a better CPU.

Get either a samsung ssd or an intel one.

Get either an ASUS 970 or a gigabyte. They've got better 970 cards.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't need water cooling unless you're overclocking.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

I will be overclocking. Why get a better CPU? The CPU is more than enough for gaming purposes? Also, I can't get an Intel m.2 SSD. Samsung is like £100-200 more expensive for the same size of m.2. I'll get perhaps the gigabyte ones :)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd get an i7 4790k if I was you.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Your choice really.

You're overclocking, so I doubt you'd need a better cpu.

Most games don't use 8 cores.

Good luck

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The 4790K isn't compatible with the X99 Deluxe. Also, I'm sure it'll future proof me a bit for games that start to use more than 8 cores. Also...checked out the Gigabyte Windforce and it looks amazing but upon adding I realise that there's an issue:

The Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case supports video cards up to 440mm long, but video cards over 310mm may block drive bays. Since the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card is 312mm long, some drive bays may not be usable.

So that leaves me a choice. Settle for the slightly worse Asus Strix or maybe change case? But this case I really like the look of and love the fact that it'll be silent. Reckon I can work around the loss of some drive bays? Considering I'll only be using one for my HDD.

[comment deleted]
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Is the samsung really that much faster than the Plextor? I plan on storing my main games on it as well as the operating system. Don't think 256GB will cut how many games I tend to install xD

Hmmm, thanks for shedding some light on the graphics cards. Not sure to how much better the Gigabyte one would perform against my one once overclocked...I guess I went for this one for pure aesthetics (my build will be mainly red and black and want it to coordinate with each other. Maybe I could customize the cards color myself? IDK :P

Yeh, I think the PSU should be fine too :)

I'm not gonna be video editing but if I was, I'd look to get a 4K monitor in future or an IPS like you said. I don't play simulators yet but might do in future.

Yes, it is expensive but with all of those features, it's pretty much the best choice for gamers atm. Get what you pay for I guess. Also, I'll still be in budget so it's fine if I spend a little more on this screen :)

Thanks for your advice. Going to buy the parts today.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Not all games actually benefit from being on an ssd, so a lot of them would be better just going on your hdd.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't dream of putting all my games on my SSD but I do have a few big games where the load times would significantly increase.

But yes, how much faster is the Samsung model to the Plextor as I can't find any reviews online about the 2 or a comparison chart.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

No clue, wasn't me that suggested.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube