add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Most people will say the i7-4790k is overkill for gaming, but if you say you want to use it for a long time, they'll say its not good enough. If you want to get a Broadwell unlocked CPU next year (assuming they don't delay again), you could get a much cheaper CPU for now and then get the Broadwell processor later. But from what I've heard, the biggest improvements will be in the iGPU and power consumption rather than processing ability. But it would be the best chip the Z97 will support.

I've heard the corsair closed loop water coolers kinda suck- louder and not as good at cooling as even high end air coolers such as noctua. Looking at different charts show different results, so it may depend on your build. And there are also size constraints and aesthetics that may matter.

Mother board tier list: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2383187/motherboard-tier-list-z97-chipset.html

(Red: MSI Blue: ASROCK Green: GIGABYTE Gold: ASUS Black: EVGA)

Processor/mobo bundles: http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

You could save money and get a better mobo (the MSI gaming 5 bundle would save a tiny by and its a tier higher than the ASUS Z97-A and Z97-AR and ASRock extreme 4

A larger PSU would allow for more improvements (more OCing, SLI) if you are interested in that.

Do notice the compatibility notes, if you have not already.

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube