add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First ever build, any improvements?

NYCowboy

62 months ago

So as the title says, I've never done this before. It's been and will continue to be updated as I get more suggestions from you guys and from friends. I've tried to keep this as cheap as possible while maintaining fair quality for playing games like LOL and a few steam games(nothing too extreme). I'd like this to last me a while with just updating parts if I feel the need as well, so please keep that in mind.

Here's the list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/NYCowboy/saved/ZX9RsY Current(with only one of the RAMs being used): PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor $169.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $71.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $68.00 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card $140.00
Case Enermax ECA3253-BW ATX Mid Tower Case $34.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ Micro Center
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $642.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-16 19:00 EST-0500

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

I would get faster ram. I mean, its practically the same price: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f314900cl9d8gbxl

Also, if you look at your compatibility notes, it says that your motherboard doesn't have a header for your cases USB 3.0 ports. I would go for a little nicer motherboard with either the H97 or Z97 chipset.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Updated the ram. I don't think I'll be getting an updated MOBO for right now(might change if I run into a way to make enough extra money) since I'm probably not going to be using 3.0 a whole ton. However if I get any extra income I'll be upgrading to the ASRock H97 Anniversary (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h97anniversary) most likely. Thank you for your help!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I updated it with a few of the elements from that build just now. I'd like to keep my i5 and the 660 is too good of a deal to pass up from my friend. Changed the RAM, mobo, and HDD though. Thanks!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

get 2 sticks of ram 4gb each not 1 eight gb one

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

What's the reason behind that?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Supposedly its easier on the memory controller on CPUs that use dual channel. 2 4GB sticks would still leave you 2 slots for 2 more 4GB sticks.

If you plan to upgrade to DDR4 (which would require a new CPU and Mobo as well) before you upgrade past 16GB of RAM, then 4 4GB sticks would be fine so its not like you'd be running out of space.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Ok. This stick is about $20 cheaper than the G-skill 1866 2x4 GB. Do you think it's worth it?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

bump

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

So my new question is: will my RAM be too much for my MOBO? The specifics say that the ram type is DDR3-1066/1333/1600, it doesn't include the 1866. Should I downgrade to 1600? I found this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-231-314&utm_medium=BehEmail&nm_mc=EMCPB-122014&cm_mmc=EMCPB-122014-_-PB-_-Item-_-20-231-314&et_cid=14000&et_rid=3266910&et_p1= that I can get for $60.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube