add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

is this a good gaming pc?

Mohib

62 months ago

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/8NkB4D So i came up with this build and since my knowledge of computers is very basic im not really sure if this will be a good gaming pc, i dont have a lot of money right now so this is costing me around $480 so its not that bad, but can someone tell me if it can handle games at low if not medium settings, games like minecraft, league of legends, everquest 2, sims 3 or 4, typical mmos you know like nerverwinter diablo stuff like that, dota 2 yeah so if someone could tell me how this pc can handle all those things that'll be awesome Thanks!

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

all you need to worry about is CPU and GPU go in that path and you will be ok

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I came up with this instead, but I see it stretches your budget a little bit. If you could manage to step up that video card a notch or two you'd be better off, but I think the processor is the main hurdle in your original build.

Intel Route:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor $72.98 @ DirectCanada
Motherboard ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $83.00 @ Vuugo
Memory *Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $75.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $57.89 @ DirectCanada
Video Card *Asus Radeon R7 240 2GB Video Card $64.99 @ NCIX
Case Zalman Z11 ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ Memory Express
Power Supply EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $29.99 @ Memory Express
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $98.98 @ DirectCanada
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $523.81
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-09 10:00 EST-0500

AMD Route:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $79.99 @ NCIX
Motherboard Asus A88XM-A Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $68.95 @ Vuugo
Memory *G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory $79.98 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $57.89 @ DirectCanada
Video Card *Asus Radeon R7 240 2GB Video Card $64.99 @ NCIX
Case Zalman Z11 ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ Memory Express
Power Supply EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $29.99 @ Memory Express
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $98.98 @ DirectCanada
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $520.76
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-09 11:08 EST-0500
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thx for the build i think a ~$40 increase in price is adjustable but if you had to pick between the amd vs intel which one would you go with because i dont know which one has better stability and can do some office work as well on the side without a problem thanks!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I'd have to give it to the Intel. It also gives you a pretty easy upgrade path to one of the "i" series cpus later if you decide to go with something high end.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright thanks really helped me out here

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

hey one more thing i have this pc currently is there any upgrades that i can do to it to make it better because im currently still in the money saving process and have to use this pc at the moment before i can buy this build that you suggested, so if you can tell me if there are any upgrades that can be done to this that arent too expensive that'll be great, and the optical drive will i be able to use the optical drive on this pc on the build you suggested or should i get one specifically for your build, Thanks! http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6602236

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately there's not a lot to be done to that one. Just save, save, save.

You could certainly use that optical drive, and the hard drive, too. I would bet that it's not quite as fast a new drive, but you could use it for additional storage in the new PC.

You could try out a few Linux distributions. They tend to run much quicker on older hardware when compared to Windows.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube