add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Pc £1000 ($1567) Help appreciated!

TrainableYeti

62 months ago

This will be my first build so I'm not entirely sure about what im doing, however I have read around and taken your opinions on it at various stages(quite a while ago).

I'm going to be using this for gaming, graphic design (including 3d modelling) and audio creation for lack of a better term (fl studio and the like). What I basically want is the best computer for the £1k I have, (going over budget by up to about £20 is ok) I do however want to stick with a Nividia graphics card of this spec or above. Thanks, opinions, help and constructive criticism appreciated!

EDIT: sorry about the paragraphing, it's kinda hard to see what I'm doing as i am writing from my phone

EDIT 2: I should probably add the parts list shouldn't I.... : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/TrainableYeti/saved/LDqWGX :P

EDIT 3: Overclocking is something that I'm gonna be doing

*I reposted this under a more informative name

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

I heard the cooler master hyper 212 evo is very good, I wouldn't bother with thermal paste. And would down grade the ram to 1600 instead of 1883

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah ok thanks for the advice, what's the difference with the ram, I think someone suggested the 1866 to me last time but. I can't really remember why.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry meant the 1866, speed is the factor. From what I understand the only difference between those two types is you won't notice enough of a difference

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh ok, I'll change that then thanks for the heads up.

Just changed it and it actually brought it down to £1000 exactly so thanks for that! :)

Also about the evo, I was looking around and the general conclusion was that the phanteks is better and I just wanted the coolest thing temp wise although I don't want to watercool. (I'm assuming this is true due to different sites reaching the same conclusion- I have no personal experiance with them whatsoever)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Make sure the cas on that RAM is 9 if it is 1866, otherwise the 1600 with 9 is just as good, if not marginally better, than the 1866 cas 10. lower cas is better.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If your viewing this and agree with me can you say why please for future reference, thanks!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Any other opinions?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 4670K is older version of CPU, 4690K is slightly faster with improved thermal interface material
  • The EVO that was mentioned in another comment is very good for the price, but if you want simply the best air cooling then Noctua or Phanteks
  • You don't need thermal paste, is supplied with the cooler
  • 1866 CAS 9 memory does make a difference, as much as 8% extra FPS gaming, higher percentage in some other applications. Some gentle reading if you are interested http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell
  • 970 GPU is considerably more powerful that 770, only £7 more
  • The RM750 is not the best, EVGA Supanova G2 is excellent and slightly cheaper

Suggested build comes out £7 more expensive, but includes solid improvements.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £167.50 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC14CS_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler £70.92 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £111.56 @ Scan.co.uk
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory £59.79 @ Ebuyer
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £54.95 @ Aria PC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £35.94 @ Aria PC
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card £269.94 @ Amazon UK
Case NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case £76.79 @ Aria PC
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £87.60 @ Amazon UK
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer £10.46 @ Aria PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) £71.60 @ Amazon UK
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £1017.05
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-11 00:57 GMT+0000

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube