add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

This is my first build. Any advice would be great!

OldScratchJaws

62 months ago

I am building a video editing/gaming rig. I could use some thoughts on parts based on what I got. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4yGZrH

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

You don't need to spend $300 on a mobo. There are a lot of good Z97 mobos for $100-150. Go for one of those and use the money you saved to step up that GPU to a GTX 970.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I was hoping to also future proof the machine.(as best as I can) Will a 150 motherboard keep me rolling for a few years?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

What kind of gaming would you be doing on it? It looks like you overspent on some parts and way underspent on others. Do you need overclocking, SLI, or other specific features? Also, what kind of video editing?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I was hoping for a rig powerful enough to run most, if not all games with ease on high settings and the capacity to do video editing and some 3d animation since I am in the process of learning how do so. I was hoping for a moderate overcloak/low overcloak or hyperthreading.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

OK, give me a minute. You didn't choose optimal parts for that kind of rig. What is your budget?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I am hoping for a rig that is 1800 or less.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, you can get a serious rig with that budget. Does that include peripherals and OS? (Monitors, keyboard, mouse, Windows... etc)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I already have a decent monitor and mouse. But I do not have the operating system or keyboard. The build has the Os factored in.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey check out the build I'm about to assemble. Exactly 1800 and similar intentions. You could save a few $ without some of the extras.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/dtimmons83/saved/vjwCmG

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube