add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Completely new to pc building, need suggestions for a gaming pc

randomusername1

62 months ago

Setup: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2QVNWZ I'm completely new to building pcs and have probably done something horribly wrong with this setup. I'm going to reuse my ssd, monitor, speakers, keyboard, and mouse from my current setup as they don't really need an upgrade . If I have messed this up completely, please tell me.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

You don't need a sound card, as the motherboard has good audio, normally. Cheer.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, thanks.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't recommend you get that CPU cooler, since it seems to be a weird brand, you would be better off with a Cooler Master 212 Evo.

Also, get a reliable PSU, if that thing fails, you might as well make your PC into a toaster case.

Otherwise, it looks good.

Happy Building!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I'll change those.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Since this is a gaming PC you don't really need an I7 or 16gigs of memory, You could swap them out for an I5-4670k and 2x4gig sticks and save about $150 unless you plan on running several instances of games at the same time.

There are some people that will argue to the hilt about it but at the moment 8gigs is enough, If it starts to fall short in future you can always add another stick or kit.

There are plenty of videos/articles out there that compare the I5 vs I7 gaming performance that you might want to take a look at before buying.

Also the GPU you've picked recommends a 500w PSU, It might be a good idea to pick up a beefier PSU. Granted you can usually run under the recommendations but that varies greatly between specific models of PSUs.

One thing I would ask is why you're buying an add on network adapter rather than using the on board... Intel preference?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll keep the CPU and RAM because I want this to be a good PC for a while.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If I were you I would swap to 8 gb of ram and 4690k to upgrade to a 980 not a 970

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube