add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Building a new rig in a month or two. Am I getting anything wrong?

Steinway.Cao

62 months ago

This is a mini ITX build...so no sli. I love the Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 but that is a hell long of a card to fit in this chassis

Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core $219.98
Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid $89.99

Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX LGA1150 $126.98

G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 $145.97

Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" SSD $80.98
Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $69.98

MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB $339.99

Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower $129.99

Rosewill 650W ATX12V / EPS12V $89.99
Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm $12.95 To swap the front stock 140mm Fan.

THAT was the old build, thanks to the lovely community I got beautiful advices and better my rig

CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core $219.98
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid $89.99
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 $214.99
Memory G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 $145.97
Storage Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" SSD $96.97
Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $73.98
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX $342.99
Case Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower $124.99
Power Supply Silverstone 750W ATX $124.99
Case Fan Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm $12.95 HOLY MAMA FAN

Peripherals:

Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro $166.95 I need the cool look as well as the usb hubs as well as the back lighting modification ability Mouse ROCCAT Kone XTD Wired Laser $73.16 this just matches the above

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I think 8GB is supposed to be the sweet spot for RAM these days. Might be able to scale that back and funnel the money into something else.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I have been thinking about that too, bro. Thanks for the advice However on the "Glorious Gaming build" from the homepage of the site, many people say with $1400 like that and he only puts 8 Gigs, that isn't the best build. I dont know. I may need RAM for some video editing later, but then I will ahve to get the 4790k too. Im trying to keep this one under $1500, 'coz it's only a mITX build. There's one thing I should ask though, 650W PSU can handle all these components, and maybe in the future when I upgrade, I can SLi the GTX 970 with 650W?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

try to get a tier 1 PSU.

This EVGA G2 is $92 750w. https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

errr.. would you like to explain what is a tier 1 and tier 2 PSU?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

And by the way its length is 180mm which will conflict with the 3.5" drive bays in my chassis, I really want to keep it around 160 - 150mm length. There is the Silverstone Strider Gold S 750W whose length is 150mm though, really good PSU, but pricy, over $120..

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

get a good psu - it's not worth it if you get a cheap one and it blows your components. tomshardware and jonnyguru sites have a lot of articles that explain the tier 1 tier 2 tier 3 power supply stuff - read up on that. tier 1 is the best certification, most reliable, best built. not too many models in tier 1.

for example not all EVGA psu are tier 1, only some of their models like G2 and P2, etc., that passed the test.

here is the list: Click "See Full Content" to see whole list http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Bro, thanks a lot for the read. Upon this I will switch to the Silverstone Strider series then. it's also 150mm length, 10mm less than this one.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Although with a mITX board, there would be no room to upgrade later on if he got 2x4gb now. With a ATX board with 4 RAM slots, that's not really a problem.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

he meant 1x8 Gb, but, and this is through research on tomshardware and some other... stuffs, there will be a slight chance that if you purchase 2 different RAM sticks (although with identical tech specs), you may not be able to make them work together at the 1st time you plug 'em in. That is due to some really minor timing, voltage... etc. You know, at one time, I was about to get the Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8Gb in 2 different colors: White and red, to match my build. My dreams were crushed. sad face

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello!

If you do plan on doing more cpu-intensive work, I'd spend the extra for an i7 or Xeon. the 4690k is still amazing though.

I was very aggravated with the H100i that my friend had got whenever I was building him his PC. It was just all of the extra cables, and getting the software to work that was the pain. Still a great performing cooler though.

I might even say get a cheaper 212 EVO to start out with as you won't even need to overclock until after broadwell hits the market.

I've used that mITX mobo before and it is a dream to work with. Minus one thing. Do mITX mobo's usually come with only two fan headers? This one does. (My PC is an Asus Z97 Sabertooth, so I have more like 6-8 xP.) This has excellent wifi and bluetooth by the way.

Great parts on storage!

Graphics card is great

OMG I love this case. I would like to know how it works for you!

If this is the Capstone series PSU, then you're just fine with 650W w/ one GTX 970 and overclocking. If you go SLI in the future, I would definitely suggest 750W to be safe.

Holy 200mm Fan, Batman!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

In a month or so I will officially get my money back from the bank and by that point I will know exactly how much can I spend on this lovely rig.

• About the core, yes I would love to get an i7 4790k. Hyperthreading and stuffs, and only about $80 more than 4690k.

• The H100i is my LAST resort. I swear to whichever god you can mention. I checked out a lot of brands out there, but the slimmest which will fit in the case apparently is the H100i. its thickness is 50mm with fans added. The one I wanna get in the CM Nepton 240M whose thickness is 63mm, fans added. I know air cooling has its edges but the Case only allow 25mm air coolers to squeeze in without problem. Also I am living in a tropical country at the moment and the climate already drove me crazy. Dont want that to get anywhere near my CPU...

Yeah this mobo got 2 fan headers... Why didn't I think of that! About this I must say I'm a total n00b. Do you have any recommendations? Should I get 2 fan header splitters? So 1 for the CPU fans (goes to those 2 fans on the radiator) and 1 for the back and front BATMAN fan?

THE CASE IS LIKE OH MY GOD NOW I CAN BRING IT ON MY BUSINESS TRIPS AND LIKE TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

I changed my mind about the PSU thanks to @kimosabe around here. I will get the Silverstone Striler Gold Plus 750W Full Modular. Shorter, and more powerful.

yes, BATMAN! however I may get those red LEDs swapped for white ones to match the exterior, or turn them all off. Working in discreet.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Upon waking up and having a clear head, I realized mITX can't SLI xD. Oh well...

I think splitters would be great because the motherboard is too good to pass up. Also, have you considered an H50/H60 or something in that sort of style? Those tend to perform similarly to a heatsink, but are smaller which would be easier to navigate with when installing a cpu cooler. You can also put those in a push/pull configuration, but only if your case will allow it.

Other stuff I would recommend is getting a 1x8GB stick of RAM to start out with, and upgrading with another in the future when/if necessary. It really depends on the workload. If you're starting out in editing and whatnot, I would suggest 8GB, but if you actively do those RAM-intensive applications, then get 2x8GB. Just be sure it's 1600MHz+ cas latency 9 or less, and the voltage is 1.5v +/- 5%. Then you'll be good.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If the case is on your desk, the leds can get distracting in the peripheral view when the room is dark, but that is me. but it's cool to turn on if you have guests. sometimes I turn off the lights in the room and leds are enough to see a few things on the desk.

so you can not fit the Kraken x61 cooler I take it? have you tried contacting the Case manufacturer for their recommendation on a cooler that will fit?

I called Phanteks today and amazingly a human answered and gave me some good advice about my fan placements and types for my new case.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a great suggestion! I know if OP calls Corsair, someone would be glad to help him!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

There is 1 other change i made, I opted for the ASUS RoG Maximus VII Impact instead, due to all those fan headers problem. It does cost much higher, + $90. Am I doing this wrong? And after some online support, it turns out too bad, no radiator thicker than 55mm will "easily fit". Thicker than 60mm will tighten up "all of your valuable stuffs inside, especially if you are going to get the MAXIMUS mobo because its power module is a hell of a power module"

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, if you don't mind spending that much. I wouldn't ever spend that much considering how little I use the bios anyways. The placement of all of the ports make the Gigabyte very easy to work with (from experience) and my friend was able to get up to 25dwn/12up on the wifi (which is what he has anyways) for extended periods. The board screams quality minus having two headers. With the maximus all you're paying for is software. Yeah the hardware is great, but if you were to replace the software with like a normal ASUS bios, you're looking at maaaaybe a $150 board. At that point, I would just get the Asus Z87i deluxe which has a feature to flash a new firmware to be able to use haswell-refresh CPUs.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

No Kraken for me. no Nepton or Seidon too. Even the H105 cannot fit.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

OH, also you can also opt for an mITX Video card as well, seeing as those are out to buy now. I believe Gigabyte, MSI, and...Zotac? are the brands that got them right now, but I can't remember.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I know asus has a small form 970

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah! Asus and Gigabyte. I don't think MSI has one out yet, but I could be wrong.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

does the small form thing performs as good? or we know it as "small looking but muscular inside"?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

+1 on cool looking case. +1 getting 750w

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I justified my part, so it will be the Silverstone Strider Gold Plus something 750W only 150mm long.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Just edited the list thanks to our lovely and caring community

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube