add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help with choosing a power supply

leikamkei
  • 64 months ago

Hello all, I am trying to find a power supply for the following system

• i7-950
  • Intel DX58SO
  • 6GB RAM
  • EVGA GTS 450
  • Some hard drives(not decided on yet)

I know what I'd like in the power supply but there is one requirement that seems to be a bit tricky for me. Apparently the Intel DX58SO is one of those motherboards where the CPU Header slots only accepts cables that are a single 8 pin cable and not the 2x4 CPU Power Header that is found in modern PSUs. I confirmed this by testing out my spare cable from my EVGA Supernova 750W supply. Can anybody help me find a good reliable PSU that has such CPU Header cable? Thanks in advance!

As for what I'd like in the PSU, here it is.

• 80+ Gold preferred.
  • Single 12V rail
  • 550w-650w (This system can't be overclocked and the GPU isn't exactly power hungry)
  • Modular(Full modular preferred, but Semi will work just fine)

Comments

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

try to get a Tier 1 Power supply.

EVGA is good, 10 year warranty and good RMA/tech support. But not all of their PSU are tier 1. the G2 line are reasonably priced and on Tier 1.

here is a list. click "see full content" for full list.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

also Jonnyguru does lot of testing of power supplies. his rankings are quoted by tons of people. of course the expensive platinum psu will get the 9.5+ ratings, but if you don't need that, even a 9.0 "jonnnyguru approved" would be enough.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Review_Cat&recatnum=13

here is a nice one: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=392

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the links, but I check the PSU tier list and Jonnyguru almost religiously when I come across what may be a viable power supply. I'm trying to stick within the 550-650w area because I know my brother won't be straining this rig very much all the while keeping in the whole single 8 pin CPU header.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Seasonic has their X series listed with separate EPS connector.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube