add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Just under $2000, bang for buck complete build, tons of room to grow...

neotruth

62 months ago

A sturdy, fast, complete build with TONS of room to grow. That is the theme of this build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/neotruth/saved/QbLfrH

My son (almost 9 years old) and I saved the money in a little over 2 years. He didn't spend a dime at Toys R Us, never bought a candy bar at the gas station, etc... That awesome kid saved every penny he got. It's nearly unbelievable for a 6-8 year old to do. I really had no choice in the end. He knew what he wanted and I had to reward this behavior, no matter how many things I had to give up to save along with him.... Worth it.

Anyhoo... We wanted to buy the absolute best parts we could while keeping under $2k for everything (from OS to display), while still leaving clear upgrade potential for great performance increases from what is already at beast for $2k. A second 970 SLI, more SSDs to the RAID 0, better fans and CPU liquid cooling so we can start pushing OC, lights that go blinky blinky, etc... We wanted to spend our money on very high quality, but absolutely usable "shell" that will age well. Parts with long warranties that were ready for next gen games/tech. It turned out, that $2k gets you pretty much right around that 95% mark. Where another $2k would get you the rest of the way sort of thing (might be exaggerated, but you get the point).

Bang for buck, under 2k, last for years, everything included to kick booty right now.

I have several mechanical drives that I'll set up for nightly backups, but will otherwise run everything from the SSDs (RAID 0). We usually only have a few games installed at once, have never gone above 120 GBs, and will upgrade later if needed. The theme!

Thoughts? This is our first build... (yikes!) I am a professional Apple tech, so this is new to me and it has been more fun than I could have imagined.

Thanks!!

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 3 points

Apple? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

In all serious though, If I were you, I would either get windows 8.1 or windows 10, you'd notice a bit of a difference in performance. Otherwise fantastic build.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you very much for the feedback.

I am comfortable in Win 7, so was going for that version and was planning on jumping to 10 from there, but I will take a look at Win 8 for sure.

Thank you!

(yes... Apple. and yes, I completely understand where I am and issokay. I can take it. Hee)

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

I know what you're talking about, Win 7 feels a lot better than Win 8 for me too. However, if you're going to be gaming, the optimizations in 8.1 is better than 7 and in Windows 10 there'll be DirectX 12 :DD

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

I see your point. The OS GUI, um... changes.. are meaningless when I'm in game, and is why this machine is being built.

You sold me, and have made the change in my parts list... that I'm slowly chipping away at. I'm trying to order parts not too far apart so the 8 year old doesn't lose sight of the final build. It's working. He's still super anxious which is great.

Thank you for your input, it has absolutely helped!

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Glad to hear it. You won't have to use 8.1 long, because apparently 8.1 users get a free upgrade to 10, haha! Though nothing I've seen is confirmed.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Look at this build. I put windows 8.1 since it will better than 7, you can change settings to make it more confortable if you are used to win7, and you can upgrade towin10 in a year more easily.

I added 2qty 24" monitors which will let you read email on one while you game on the other. these have good specs for budget gaming monitors. you still have to add keyboard & mouse. I suggest a mechanical keyboard like cherry brown. you can get a cheaper mech keyboard than one you picked. And I added a low cost but budget/value $30 CM 212 cpu cooler. better than no cpu cooler.

$1854 http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kimosabe/saved/ZZQhP6

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The 2560 27" BenQ will make a great second monitor to a future 4k, is my only thought. More now on things that can be used for further into the future, sort of thing. This was our #1 goal.

I am thinking a CPU cooler is probably the first thing I'm going to upgrade with my son. You are right. Easy thing to do that will introduce us into some fun overclocking with the 4790k

Thank you!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

27" monitor - that is a lot of light.

I have a 32" LED monitor and a 24" one. the brightness of the 32" is a lot. you don't realize it until you sit in front of it. dark screens are okay but if I have a text document, it's a lot of White light. I make a lot of 3D drawings, so the 32" helps me, but it's also killing my eyes.

you might have to get some of those special computer glasses to help with staring at bright light for many hours. I'm sure it affected my eyesight.

I had better than 20/20 vision all my life, really it's possible - I could see/read farther than others. Now I am starting to have problems with my eyes.

for your son, better to start him with protection now, but those glasses cost about $59. I'm going to get a pair but it might be too late for me - it will help reduce some of the pain. Things are more blurry for me now. You basically have to cut the glare if you are going to use such a huge monitor.

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/computer-vision-syndrome

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Only thing I really would have done was drop one of the SSDs for a 1 TB WD Blue. Yeah, you don't use that much now but still.. I remember when I thought 1 TB was pretty big..

Bah, but you'll up it when needed, as you've stated, and HDDs are really only going to get cheaper IMO

• Rest below are just personal opinion/preference -

Win 8.1 over 7 due to personal preference and reasons sassas1 stated

Would probably choose the MSI Gaming 7 over the Maximus at that price.. Lots more USB on the back (like, 10 or so ports) and all of it USB 3.0 (plus it's about $150 if you combo it with the CPU at Microcenter). I dunno, the Maximus just screams "paying for brand name" to me. Also, I believe the MSI board has perks when used with an MSI GPU (like auto OC or something)

extra cash saved can be used to buy something like the 212 EVO for mild overclocking or a liquid cooler for some pretty heavy OCing

i5 > i7 in terms of gaming, but screw it; it's a 2k build :p

Also, I wish I knew the K70 RGB existed.. might have not last year but looks much cooler than my red-light-only K70. Nice job starting him off with cherry reds :p

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Rocktacular. I have made the change to Win 8.1. You guys sold me, thank you so much!

That build looks awesome, and will actually delve in just a bit... interesting.

On the CUP, yes, exactly. $2k, and was less worried about getting everything I could right now. I rather wanted to start off purchasing parts that would be viable for a longer span of time that had massive upgrade potential without replacing any of them (outside of stock case fans).

For example, the 970 should be a good candidate for a something I would still want to double up for a heck of a long time. The 730 SSDs have a 5 year warranty, Devil's Canyon will always be a good OC candidate, the display will be a great candidate for a 2nd monitor when we upgrade to a 4k (it's a 27" 2560 BenQ with good ratings), I can just add to the 1866 RAM Kit, etc, etc, etc..

As much in quality parts now, so upgrading later will have the most bang for buck for longer into the future without replacing ANY of the major parts. That was #1 by far with us.

Concerning the mobo... Two things in my mind.

1. I do not really care about more USB 3. Four is plenty for me. I will be keeping as much as I can in my H440 as far as storage. I will only have a few peripherals via USB 3.

2. Probably most important..., my 8 year old thinks it "Look really, really cool".

Ah well.

Thanks again!!!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh! I completely forgot to ask... How do you like your K70?

I've never used a mechanical keyboard....

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

well, it tends to make a bit more noise than a normal keyboard (moreso with the K70 as it has a metallic plate on the front/under the keys) but it's much more responsive, IMO, partially because you don't need to push the key down all the way before it's actually triggered (maybe about half a press will do it).

I don't tend to use the backlight much.. Only really have to if I'm having to hit keys in the dark which only rarely comes up as I tend to play with lights on as to not blind myself o-o

Definitely replaced the WASD keys with the textured set that came with it so they can be easily found

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube