add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Budget Gaming for Stepbrother

ReluctantGeek

62 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $88.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper N520 43.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $39.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $111.96 @ SuperBiiz
Memory A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $51.85 @ OutletPC
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Vapor-X Video Card $171.98 @ SuperBiiz
Case Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case $48.99 @ Directron
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $48.99 @ NCIX US
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor $134.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $857.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-10 22:17 EST-0500

My parents have asked me about building a PC for my stepbrother for shortly after Christmas. I'm unsure how much the exact total of the budget is going to be right now (somewhere from 900-1100, including monitor and OS). He mainly plays LoL, but he has expressed interest in Dragon Age: Inquisition (so a quad-core CPU is a must) and Shadows of Mordor. Right now, I'm mainly curious as to what's the best CPU cooler in the under $50 range looking for a moderate overclock. I know the Hyper 212 Evo is good, I'm just curious if there is anything significantly better if you spend up to $10-15 more (such as the one I have listed). Any help getting the best bang for the buck would be appreciated.

BTW, I'd get the CPU & Motherboard at Microcenter in one of their bundle deals, so that helps relieves the budget a little for other things.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Gorgeous build. I don't see much I would suggest in terms of parts ( Well aside from getting a Mobo & RAM that matches the Case :P ).

Unless a OC heavy build is necessary he could get an intel chip for better/equal performance (Especially in league, but he should already cap Vsync). Or even keep the 6300 and skimper on the MOBO/Cooler and get a 280 or even a 280X.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, it's not going to match like the build I'm working on right now. I think he'd rather have the performance, so no spending an extra 5 or 10 here and there for matching parts for right now (though, I might change to a different case that has a more plain look just to not be too tacky).

I might decide to save on the MOBO/Cooler to get a better GPU (any extra funds that are put into the build will almost certainly go to the GPU) just because he wants to play Dragon Age and Shadow of Mordor. There are couple of MOBO bundles over at Microcenter that put Intel in competition, especially considering that would mean no aftermarket cooler because no OCing, so maybe I'll look into that.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

I was considering the Corsair Spec-01/03 until they ran out of the whites :/.

Intel is pretty competitive in this range, Any of the haswell/haswell refresh chips would be a league ahead of the 6300. Plus all the mobos for the chips are cheaper (And being locked you could go for a 50 dollar mobo and be just fine) and have smaller form factors so you could go for a smaller and thus cheaper case.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

There's a couple of $10 after bundle MOBOs over at Microcenter. The bundles only work with the unlocked version, but since they're the same price at Microcenter right now, that doesn't matter. Experimenting with a smaller form factor would be fun too.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

I-I wish I had a microcenter near me :(

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

No, no you don't. All of my money gets eaten by it. I go in and I go like "Shiny processor" and then there goes my paycheck.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Good build!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube