add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Build for younger brother! Need some advice.

optimusgaming

62 months ago

My younger brother is 15 years old and is into gaming, but he also has a you-tube channel going on and says he would like to get into editing videos and rending them fast. So far i have came up with this partlist, and was wondering how long this will last him? I will be buying 2 of the 8 kits of ram that I selected. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor $174.00
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Performance ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $105.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $88.99 @ Amazon
Storage Intel 530 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $0.00
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card $349.95 @ B&H
Case NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.48 @ Mwave
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $0.00
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $911.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-10 23:05 EST-0500

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

what about this PSU. the G2 is Tier 1 rated. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

can you afford 256gb ssd? you dont get access to the full 256 GB. I have 122gb/233GB filled and it's mostly just the OS and just some main programs like anti-virus and stuff. games I install elsewhere.

if you can afford it for his editing, you might consider also a Hybrid (SSHD)drive rather than the regular HDD. They have some really well priced ones now.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your input but I believe the power supply I selected is more then enough with the power efficiency of the 970.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You could get 16GB of just as good RAM for under $178. Save like $25-$35.

I have not heard anything about the brand but its $140 for the same specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/mushkin-memory-997119

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

At the moment my brother is playing on a prebuilt gateway with a mobo that has the cpu integrated and 6 gigs of ram. When it comes down to it is the i7 necessary or does it just give faster render speeds and no lag while recording? I've told him about shadowplay but he says "the pros use fraps" and he would like to use fraps...

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

FRAPS is utter shite, IMO. Get him to move to shadowplay or flippen DxTory at the least.

Why Shadowplay? Easy 1080p60 (1920x1080 @ 60 FPS) recordings with low space usage and practically no impact on framerate. I actually really like this, gives me smaller files than DxTory and runs much better. Doesn't have the multiple audio stream stuff like DxTory though, but you can use it in conjunction with SP to record audio with minimal impact on framerate. 20 minute vid came out in under 7 GB rendered at 50mbps; FRAPS would've given me something much flippen larger. Fragments the video at 3.8GB, though, so you'd have to import a bunch of files depending on how long you recorded and which game it was. Recent games may have more 'fragments', while older games (like System Shock 2) may let you go some 40 minutes on the same file. In the end, it totals up to less than what FRAPS/DxTory spits out

Why DxTory? Multiple audio channels. Can set up mic/skype/game audio to be separate from one another to be edited later. Seems to need quite a bit more power or HDD write speeds to do 1080p60.. my tests are inconclusive. Lagarith codec produces same quality as FRAPS (and it plays nicer with editors.. Windows MM doesn't like the FRAPS encoder to my knowledge) as well as same filesize for the recorded stuff (can get well above 40GB for one video which could be a problem with 1 TB depending how he works, ie record then straight to editing or record a bunch and edit later)

advantages of both? none of them freakin lock your framerate to whatever you're recording to (no "you want to record at 30 then you must play at 30 like FRAPS does). I also think they're much less CPU intensive, even more so with SP (they offload most of it to the GPU, I believe)

Also, the pros maybe used FRAPS waaaaay back then but I'm fairly certain they don't any more considering, again, stuff like Shadowplay and DxTory exists. Just my 2 cents

Unless he's doing heavy editing/rendering, 16 GB won't be needed nor do I think an i7 warranted.

Dunno about faster renders.. Running an i7-2600k OC'd to 4.0, hyperthreading off so I'm just using the 4 standard cores, and it can still take up to an hour to render ~20 minutes of 1080p60 gameplay. Mostly because I do 2-pass render so the renderer has to run through the vid twice. Nothing's really going to lop off a huge chunk of time except for real short videos or real low quality settings/resolution (pretty sure on that second one.. I've never tried to make a purposely low-quality/res video)

Recording just requires a decent CPU, IMO. I've run the i7 with hyperthreading off (basically just a 4-core instead of an 8) up until recently (see above) and have been doing quite well. So I'd have to say no, it's not really needed.

this ram is much less expensive than if you bought 2 of the kits you've selected, plus free shipping. Alternatively, this set has the same CAS and speed as the one you've selected and still a bit less expensive. Would recommend a 2x4 GB kit (8 GB total) or just the 1x8GB unless doing heavy editing as well (I'm only working with 4x2GB @ 1333Mhz, for example.. Game vids don't take too much unless, again, you want to get real technical and effect-y or someshite with it)

But seriously, he has/will have a top-range Nvidia card.. he better damn well shadowplay that crap :p

Also note, if going for longevity then a -k (unlocked) CPU and Z97 mobo would be recommended.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Sooo.... Would the i5 do just fine? Any real need for the i7 unless he is going to do heavy renders and animations?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

From my experiences, pretty much. There is a speed difference, to be honest, but it'd only show up in benchmarks (that is to say, not noticeable)

Only reason I really have an i7 is because the PC came -considerably- cheap with it and because I really like to compress/7zip the crap out of things for some undiscernible reason.

(also, apologies for the rant up there)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

So the i5 is fine for my and his needs?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Silverstone TD03 92.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $94.99 @ Directron
Motherboard MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $119.99 @ Amazon
Memory Kingston Fury White Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $79.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card $339.49 @ Amazon
Case NZXT H630 (White) ATX Full Tower Case $127.99 @ Directron
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $83.98 @ SuperBiiz
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1119.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-11 12:14 EST-0500

This is the one i am getting if its good enough Ill get the same kind for my brother but just red/black.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube