add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming Rig with future upgrades possible. will this work?

Havoc81

62 months ago

This rig will be used to play World of Tanks and some other games and little bit of picture editing. Trying to keep costs below $750 but I wanted options to do upgrades in the future without junking the whole rig. Any input would be helpful Thanks

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Havoc81/saved/ZQyQzy

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you'd have better performance now going with an FX-6300 build (any news when AMD's next CPUs are coming out?,) and/or better upgradability with a Z97/overclocked Pentium build. The Z87 boards haven't been confirmed to be Broadwell capable yet, but even so, you can get into the improvements of a Z97 board in that price range.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks good but be careful with the case, I've heard you get what you pay for with it so it's pretty bad apparently. I also recommend the Z97-A motherboard instead of the Z87-A. Good luck!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

looks good.i suggest a pentium then moving to an i5 since both the i3 and pentium are dual cores. granted one has hyperthreading and the other one doesnt but itd make more sence in the future upgrading from a pentium to an i5 then an i3 to an i5. I wouldnt recommend the fx 6300. its getting old and just not very good and theres no upgrade path for it.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Get an amd 270x, 270,or 260x. Any of those will blow away the 750ti. Which you choose will be based on sales... All of them have hit that price or lower though, some are always that low.

Don't get that psu... Get at least a 600w so you can get a better gpu later. The 750ti is pretty weak, so you'll want to upgrade that asap. And the amd cards I listed all require around 500w, so you'll be safe on those and a few more powerful ones if you go 600w.

Get z97.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, and go look at the case reviews on newegg... Doesn't look good...

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

so maybe for the base build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor $70.98 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $26.75 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $80.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $76.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card $109.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $31.98 @ OutletPC
Power Supply Fractal Design Integra R2 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ Directron
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $487.15
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-11 15:52 EST-0500
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey guys thanks for the input on the build I did and this is the new build I came up with. See if you guys think this will work. Thanks again.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Havoc81/saved/ZjGV3C

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Went with this MOB because it supports SLI and Crossfire, thought that maybe a good option to have for future upgrade or is it just a waste of $$$$?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Did a little more fiddling with the build and I got it down to about the same price as the other the first build that I did with most of the upgrades you guys told me to do. Let me know what u think and if there is anything else that may look better. thanks

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube