add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
swordcaca

62 months ago

Hello,

I am trying to build my first gaming computer with my budget around $500. I want to play BF4, Call of Duty, X-Com, Crysis 3, etc.. I don't need to play in the optimal setting. I just want to play..

Here my my build : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8pkpNG

I am trying to reduce the cost, but I am not sure how I am going to do this. And what are those compatibility issues at the bottom? Also, I would appreciate some recommendation with coolers. (I would not want the computer to overheat...)

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

That's actually a pretty solid build.

The compatibility issues at the bottom aren't much of a problem.

You might need to update the BIOS, true. That case doesn't have front-panel USB 3.0, so the headers on your MOBO will go to waste, but you'll still have some on the back. The video card might block the drive bays, but you'd be able to leave some space between your two hard drives and not stack them directly on top of each other.

Here's a pic I stole from a completed build with that case and a R9 280. You can see how you just have to work the HDDs around the GPU.

How about this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $96.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $70.75 @ OutletPC
Memory *Mushkin Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $63.98 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $51.85 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card $159.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $31.98 @ OutletPC
Power Supply *EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $24.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $500.53
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-11 16:44 EST-0500
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your kind advice.

I would like to ask if the memory you recommended is reliable? I really don't know much about computer, so I usually look at ratings from other people. Also, do I need to have any external coolers? (I noticed that laptop heats up very quickly when playing video games. So I thought one of the major advantages in having a desktop is the ability to install cooler).

Thank you very much in advance.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Memory is pretty similar across the board. Anything from a major brand with the specs you want should be fine.

You don't have to have an external cooler, but it can't hurt. If you're not going to overclock, you could get by with the stock cooler, but an aftermarket cooler will usually be cooler and quieter.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

this a very solid build and this cooler should work fine http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the recommendation.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $96.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard $69.97 @ OutletPC
Memory Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $51.85 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card $171.98 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $42.99 @ Directron
Power Supply EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $34.49 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $528.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-11 18:13 EST-0500
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting choices for the memory and power supply. Thank you for the recommendation.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I started with this build it ran bf4 fine on ultra, the only thing that was different was my ram and my gpu

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $96.78 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $26.75 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard $44.99 @ Micro Center
Memory Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.24 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card $159.99 @ Newegg
Case Rosewill R519-BK ATX Mid Tower Case w/500W Power Supply $64.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $502.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-11 19:47 EST-0500

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube