add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build! 1440p gaming pc

krete11

62 months ago

So I decided for my first build I'm going to want to hit the higher resolution of 2560 x 1440p. Luckily, until you hit water cooling, as far as I can tell, PC building doesn't get any more complex. I opted for the stock fan for now, as long as not getting an SSD, just to save price. HOWEVER, if you manage to fit an OEM cpu cooler, and an SSD, with better or equal performance, you will gain my respect, and thanks. Without further ado, here is my build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $230.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $219.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $83.98 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.99 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card $549.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $119.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $114.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $102.98 @ Newegg
Monitor Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor $469.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $27.95 @ Amazon
Headphones Razer Kraken Pro Headset $54.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2028.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-11 18:21 EST-0500

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you planning to add another 980 down the road in sli? If not, you'd be better getting two 970s, they'll outperform a single 980 for a little bit more. If you're going to be overclocking, you should really get a cooler that isn't the stock one, the coolermaster 212 evo is highly recommended by mostly everyone. I don't get what you mean by adding an ssd and cooler with equal performance, since you don't have any added currently, am I missing something?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

by the "adding an ssd or cooler" I'm implying that if someone wants to edit the part list, with a CPU cooler and SSd included, that is a at roughly the same price. Also, what about heating and noise with the GTX 970, from what I've read, the GTX 970 is infamous for a coil whine.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Im pretty sure every card has coil whine to some extent, but if you limit the card's fps output to around what your monitor can show with msi afterburner it should cut it down a bit. For the rest of the noise, it just depends on how well your case dampens sound really. I, personally, haven't heard the that the 970 in general is bad for coil whine, maybe some specific models?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess it wouldn't hurt, consider that I am using a (hopefully) noise dampening case. but is heat going to a problem, will I need to buy some more case fans?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

This did shoot the price up ~$250, but I guess I'll just have to live with that. Also, I decided to go with a water AOI water cooled set up, just so the 970 SLI can get a bit more of the cooling (hopefully).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $230.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $219.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $83.98 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI) $349.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI) $349.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $119.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $114.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $102.98 @ Newegg
Monitor Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor $469.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $27.95 @ Amazon
Headphones Razer Kraken Pro Headset $54.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2268.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-11 18:47 EST-0500
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The water cooler should hopefully make for better airflow, and also since you're going with the 970s, you can bump your psu down to 700-750 just to be safe.

I don't really know any cheaper alternatives to the h100i I'm afraid, I do know a lot of people swear by it, though.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It has 3 120mm fans mounted for intake and 1 140mm fan mounted for exhaust, so you should be fine; though if you want you can mount up to 3 120mm or 2 140 mm exhaust fans at the top. If you want, you can also mount 2 140mm fans on the front intake in place of the 3 120mm fans. As said, you should be fine, but if you want to be sure, that's available to you. My only worry is that since it's a silent case, the intake only has one side vent, and the top exhaust only has vents at one side and the rear, it should still be alright but it's worth mentioning that the fans won't be running at the best they can run.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll check Newegg to see, and also I'm contemplating if a AOI water cooling will be worth it, or at least the H100i, considering I don't plan to overclock in the foreseeable future. Do you have any suggestions for a cheaper alternative?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube