add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I think I may have found my $500 Christmas Build

Exploosh

62 months ago

I'm looking to build a gaming PC for Christmas. I want to run most games on high/ultra settings with at least 40 fps and stable too, no stuttering. I'm mostly interested in Skyrim, Fallout, and some first person shooters or online games and a lot of open-world or sandbox type games. I have no interest in overclocking at this time. I'm trying to keep the budget under $550, but I would really like to get it down to $400-$450. I'm relying on sales to come soon at this point because I know they'll bring lower prices. I'm also ignoring any male-in rebates for now.

Please tell me what you think and if you have any questions, comments, or concerns. This will be my first time building a computer and I want to get it right. I don't want to buy all the parts to then realize there's incompatibilities.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $96.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Zalman CNPS5X Performa CPU Cooler $16.87 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard $46.99 @ Amazon
Memory Kingston Fury Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $72.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $69.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card $167.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $34.99 @ Directron
Power Supply Fractal Design Integra R2 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ Directron
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $568.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-11 18:33 EST-0500

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You might want to get a Hyper 212 EVO. Check if your case supports it or not. The Hyper 212 EVO performs VERY well for the money.

DDR3-1600 is the way to go for cheaper stuff.

WD 1TB is fine, though 2TB is not bad. You have found quite a good deal.

The video card can be improved up to 280X or 280. They will run a lotta stuff at 1080p or 720p.

It doesn't look like there are incompatibilites... though you might want to get a Micro ATX case for a Micro ATX motherboard, it saves space.

Hope this helps!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I put in a 1866 RAM just because I've heard it performs slightly better and the prices are about the same if not the same when sales start to go on. Actually, at one point, 2133 RAM was the same as 1600. I know it doesn't matter a whole lot, sort of just wanting to buy it as a comfort thing.

I actually had a 280x in there originally but realized the price was stretching it. However, I know that when the sales start, a 280x will be under $200 and definitely attainable so I'll most likely have that in there.

Also, I'll look more into the Micro ATX case, but it's not that big of a concern for me just yet. xD I did add in the Hyper 212 EVO though considering it's only $30 right now and my guess is, just like everything else, it will go down in price for the sales. The CPU does have a stock cooler which might be good enough, but I planned on getting a separate cooler as a precaution anyways. :D Thank you for your input!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It looks good I would get a corsair 200r which has front usb 3.0 ports and costs only $5 more but other that it looks great.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

That was another thing I was deciding on. I wasn't sure if I really needed 3.0 ports at all. I believe they're "faster?" (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going off of what someone else said on a game's forum). If I were to get a case with usb 3.0 ports then I would need to replace the mobo with one that actually has them, adding on another $20. Plus, the corasir 200r is $15 more than the current case I have on the list.

I think there's other ones with good ratings though for around the same price. I'm still deciding of course. I would just like to know the actual benefits of a usb 3.0 port.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Not much really, they are faster and thats about it but you would have to buy a adapter to be able to use the front panel usb though.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe climb a pillar to the 280/280X?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube