add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$1,500 Graphic Design & Gaming machine for first time builder

WeizenUp

62 months ago

-EDITED 12/21: Changed case, budget upped to $1700-

Hello all (thank you for reading),

Here is what I've been looking at building: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $249.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $30.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Asus Z97M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $123.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $302.98 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $119.99 @ Best Buy
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $74.45 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card $349.99 @ B&H
Case Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case $138.04 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $129.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) $91.98 @ OutletPC
Wireless Network Adapter Linksys WUSB6300 802.11a/b/g/n/ac USB 3.0 Wi-Fi Adapter $43.49 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1655.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-21 14:01 EST-0500

I plan to use this machine for graphic design (Acrobat, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, etc.) and gaming (Civ V, Skyrim, Smite, Overwatch in the future). I want 32gb of RAM so I can work comfortably with a ton of stuff open.

I do not need a monitor. I'll be using my ASUS (VS248H-P Black 24" 2ms HDMI LED Backlight)

I don't plan on overclocking, but maybe in the future. It seems like all the overclockable parts are superior to the locked parts even without OCing. Is this correct? There also doesn't seem to be a worthwhile difference in price.

I'm leaning toward the Enthoo Evolv now (before I had the Enthoo Pro). They both seem like great cases, I just don't think I'd utilize the extra space in the Pro. Is there a better mATX case out there for a first time builder?

Any and all help is much appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Brands seem okay... You're better off getting a seperate wireless adapter if you can, because I've heard onboard mobo wifi sucks. Never used it because I have a board without wifi :( but my wifi card works wonders.

The 212 EVO is very good for non-overclockers, and mild overclocking ( like by 100 mHz). If you plan to overclock by more in the future then get a better cooler or water cool it.

Get a Samsung/Intel SSD, the 840/850 series works very well.

WD is well known for their Hard Drives, mostly gaming builds will have WD blacks. Also you're doing a lot of program stuff, you might want to have more storage.

Regarding gaming mice... they do cost $60 and up for good ones ( I got mine at a really awesome sale for $40 lol ), and the one that I can wholeheartdely reccomend is the Logitech G502 Proteus Core, and it's the one I use. It has many adjustable points, and gives you many customizations.

You can install windows from an external drive. You'll need a small flash drive (4gb or more). Download the Windows ISO from the Microsoft Website ( this can be easily done by just going there, inputting your serial code, and it's fairly easy ), then convert it using the ISO to USB boot drive software, provided my Microsoft. This will format your drive, and then install Windows 8.1 as a bootable flash drive. Go into the BIOS and set boot to USB, you are done!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/start-your-computer-from-a-windows-7-installation-disc-or-usb-flash-drive (This works for Windows 8.1 don't worry)

Hope this helped!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Barracudas are good drives too and crucial ssds are good and cheap

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Crucial's aren't as good as some of the others. The Samsung 840 EVO is good, though if you are on a SERIOUSLY tight budget, the Crucial is okay I guess...

WD Blacks are margainally faster than Barracudas.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Barracudas have a higher failure rate, I actually just had one fail on me.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info! I changed to Samsung 840 EVO and WD Black Series. I also went to a wifi stick instead of onboard. Upped budget to $1700.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I recommend getting a PCI wifi card, USB wifi sticks are generally much slower.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I can vouch for the G502

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like a pretty good build to me. Just for future reference, hit the Export/Markup button and copy paste that into your post. It's much more convenient for anyone wanting to view your list.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Done, thanks for the tip!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube