add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking to lose my water cooling virginity...

skeeloco

62 months ago

I'm seriously considering going water cooling with my new build, just kinda wondering what I'm in for. I was watching an H100 installation video on youtube and one of the hoses popped off the radiator and shot water all over the guy's motherboard. This was really discouraging and makes me second guess going with water, especially if this happens to someone that is more familiar with water cooler installation.

What I'm looking forward to with water cooling is not having to deal with a heatsink as I have a major dust problem. Granted I'm doing everything I can to make this new build dust free, it would just be great to not have to deal with a massive heat sink altogether.

Planning on going with one of the newer 2011 chips, hoping to overclock to 4.8Ghz and beyond.

Comments?

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 6 points

Get wet for the first time buddy!

good luck

• 62 months ago
  • 6 points

Your username goes perfectly with your comment.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

An H100i won't be sufficient for a very extreme overclock. Even some thick 140mm rads will beat it. Go for a swiftech H240X, H320, or an NZXT Kraken X61.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends what temps you want... If a 140mm rad can cool a 295x2 which is a 500 watt card then I don't see why a h100i can't cool a 80 watt cpu.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

He's getting a 140w CPU, and if he wants to OC, he may raise the TDP to around 250w. Video cards and CPUs are totally different animals when it comes to cooling, so you can't really compare the two.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say that your first consideration would be whether your build's budget means you're sacrificing extra performance to afford a water cooling loop, and if it does, then whether or not you prefer higher performance or silence/extreme cooling.

If your goal is foremost performance, I would just buy more/better GPUs and CPU. The main purposes behind custom water cooling are silence and temperatures. Any performance gains you get from higher overclocking headroom is just a bonus that often does not beat using your loop's funds to buy more processing power instead. Just depends on what your preference is and how much you are willing/able to pay.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Good point there...

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube