add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build - Hands Tied

lehyunsu

62 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor $286.94 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $26.75 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $134.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $148.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $124.95 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $51.85 @ OutletPC
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $329.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $329.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case $99.97 @ OutletPC
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $60.98 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $49.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $102.98 @ Newegg
Monitor Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor $139.99 @ Best Buy
Monitor Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor $139.99 @ Best Buy
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1990.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-12 04:21 EST-0500

Okay, so I have officially completed my first build (after about 2 years of putting it off for various reasons). I knew beforehand that it will be a nerve-racking experience because if one thing fails--ah f*** it. Something already did fail. My motherboard. Months of research and checking compatibility of components simply did not cut it. The outcome was inevitable, and I knew it at the back of my heart even as I sat at my desk purchasing each component online.

I'm kidding. My motherboard didn't fail, per se. It fails at times..to communicate with my video card. Or at least that's what I believe. Okay, so here's the problem. Most of the time when I turn on my computer, it boots up just fine. At times it double boots, but that's okay as long as it boots. But for some reason, my motherboard will sometimes fail to recognize my video card and I have no video output. This was a big issue for me when I tried to install Windows and drivers because I had to reboot constantly. I ended up reinstalling Windows about 5 times because my computer would fail to output display during various critical updates. I finally got all my drivers and my operating system installed with just one boot failure. I was pretty pissed by the end of it. Like really, computer? You're going to do this to a first-time builder? This was after I reseated my RAM sticks, tested with just one RAM stick, reseated my GPU, moved my GPU to another PCI-E slot, reseated my CPU heatsink, updated my BIOS, switched monitors and cables, installed Windows 7, installed Windows 8.1, changed boot settings, etc. Nothing worked.

So I contacted Asus support. They basically told me that my video card was not compatible with the motherboard model that I was using. I don't know much about motherboards, but from what I read in various forums if the motherboard has a slot for the video card that you want to use then the video card is compatible. And based on the part list I made on this site, everything was compatible (and no special notes about smaller compatibility issues). I read a few reviews on Newegg and some of the reviewers stated that Asus motherboards have a tendency to be DOA (with similar issues with the video card). I mentioned this to the Asus guy at CS, but he seemed insistent that it was most definitely a compatibility issue. He told me if I am able to test another video card on it and the motherboard still fails to operate properly then I will be able to do an RMA. And I'm also unable to return my motherboard to Asus (and based on the return policy for my motherboard on Newegg, I am also unable to return it to them). Talk about avoiding responsibility.

So here I am with my very first build that just isn't quite fully functional and I am unable to return my motherboard. I honestly don't know what to do at this point, and I am completely out of funds to go and buy another motherboard at the moment. I know that it is partly my fault for not knowing better, but really for a first-time builder who has no idea what it's like getting their hands dirty putting together components for the first time, it's inevitable that things like this will happen. I find it very unfortunate that both the seller and the manufacturer refused to take responsibility for an issue that I find quite a few others are experiencing as well.

But when the computer runs, it RUNS. I have never been able to have the pleasure of playing any games that exceeded the graphics quality of Age of Empires; and even that game lagged too much for me to play on my old PC. So what do you guys think of my first build? I have yet to purchase the second GTX 970 for SLI listed above, the two monitors, the HDD, the fan, and potentially a sound card. I will be doing a bit of post-production work and music production on my rig when it is completed. If you guys have any suggestions regarding my upgrade path, let me know. That motherboard, though..

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I've had the exact same issue with Asus boards before, It's one of the reasons I tell people to not to buy them. It seems to be a hit or miss issue over a lot of their product lines and it isn't even partly your fault.

I'm not sure what the deal with Asus is to be honest they do have mostly good support but everyone I've talked to that has had this issue have all heard some generic excuse from Asus laying the blame on anything else.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a shame really. I went ahead and bought this motherboard partly because the reviewers on Newegg who had this issue seemed to get appropriate responses from Asus CS. I guess I'll try contacting them again.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The trouble is if you do get an RMA from Asus you can get another board with the exact same issue, I'm uncertain if it is actually a compatibility issue with specific gpu's or not... I do know that in the time I've spent researching the problem it covers a wide range of cards.

Either way I've never seen any documentation on the part of Asus that lists which cards aren't compatible (If that's even the case) so the blame rests entirely on them.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube