add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build In 10 Years

tkohlma1

62 months ago

Hey everyone,

I built a gaming computer in 2004, and got a laptop in 2010. The laptop is finally starting to show its age when it comes to higher resolution gaming, so I think it's time to build a high-end tower again. I want a system that will squash any modern game at 1080p, and still hopefully be a threat when the Oculus Rift goes gold. A lot has changed since I've done this, so I'd like to know if anyone has any comments. Specifically:

-Is the motherboard I chose adequate for some moderate overclocking at some point in the future? -Is the 1000W PSU over/underkill if I plan on overclocking and eventually adding another 970 for SLI? -RAM modules and frequency... I have no clue what, if any, difference is present. -Am I overpaying for things like the HDD , RAM, PSU, etc, when a cheaper alternative would be just as good?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/tkohlma1/saved/QyFH99

Thanks!

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, your motherboard will be adequate for overclocking. It even has some features built in to make it easier. As for how good those are I'll leave it to someone else to say because I'm not personally familiar with that board.

A 1000 watt PSU should be good for you even with an OC'd CPU and a second GPU. EVGA isn't a bad brand and the 80+ platinum certification is a good sign that it uses quality components.

For RAM, you don't need 16GB right now for gaming. 8GB is enough for modern games. That could be an area of cost savings since you can always add more in the future if you want it. As far as speed, faster RAM will offer a small boost in game performance. It isn't significant though so if you want to drop the price that's another area you could do it without loosing much performance. DDR3-1600 is enough for most instances.

There are a couple other areas where you could cut cost without reducing performance by much. You can save $20 or so by going with a different GPU brand. You could save some money by getting a cheaper SSD or a smaller HDD. Of course you could always downgrade your case but that's all personal preference.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube