add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New power supply fan loud

punkparts
  • 64 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/punkparts/builds/

So an outage killed my old PSU, the one in thaf part list. I went out and got an insignia ns-pcw5250 520w psu. The thing's fas rattling like crazy and spinnin loud so I went back to best buy and got ANOTHER one of the exact same model. After installing that one the loud rattling fan issue seemed to be gone. Now occasionally when I put my pc under A LOT of load playing games with high demands like crysis 3 my psu fan spins fater again, not rattling, not squeaking, just slinning fast. Fast enough that you'd say "wow, that fan's a little loud" but getting close to saying "I wow turn off that pc NOW that thing's going crazy.

I'm almost positive it's the PSU fan spinning. I can feel it spinning from the bottom. I have it on a flat, hard surface to ensure airflow. Is there anyway I could monitor the fan speed and temp of the psu to figure out if this is normal or not?

Comments

• 64 months ago
  • 2 points

Don't buy PSUs from bestbuy. Grab something solid like an EVGA 500 or 600w. Bestbuy only sells "Rocketfish" and 'Insignia" branded PSUs, both of which are only available in their stores, and both of which are kinda crappy. Your best bet is to get a corsair or EVGA unit.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree. Although it seems the insignia I got scored some decent consumer ratings. I've read other people say it can be kind of loud though. So yeah eventually i'll get another psu. I initially had a good quality corsair. Then an outage happened and it was fried… The rest of my pc was seemingly unharmed. My dad thinks that my corsair power supply is what CAUSED the outage but i'm calling bull… So now I have a UPS.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd use a surge protector. It saved my *** during a surge last year.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

The CX/CXM series is at the very bottom of Corsair power supply models.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

...Is there anyway I could monitor the fan speed and temp of the psu to figure out if this is normal or not?

As is, no.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

High speed camera and thermometer?

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

There are two ways you can find the speed of the fan by getting in to the bias or there are several free software that gives access to the sensors that determine the temperature and the RPM i.e speed of the fan you can download and make use of it

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube