add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Small HTPC [First Build]

davidbru

62 months ago

Hello all,

I decided to build a small HTPC for me and my girlfriend.

Overall plan: The HTPC has the Plex Media Server installed and I'm viewing the movies on my TV via two Apple TVs in our flat.

Right now I'm doing exactly the same thing, but with my Macbook acting as Plex Media Server. Which means, if my laptop is not at home my girlfriend cannot watch movies via Plex.

I spend the last couple of weeks researching parts and came up with the following list: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor $102.98 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler $44.49 @ Newegg
Thermal Compound Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste $6.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus H81I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $75.99 @ Directron
Memory Kingston Fury Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $38.95 @ Directron
Case Fan Noctua NF-R8 PWM 31.4 CFM 80mm Fan $15.10 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $284.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-12 13:06 EST-0500

As PSU I am thinking that the picoPSU (http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-160-XT-192W-Adapter-Power-Kit) would be more than enough.

I have two spare 2,5" HDDs lying around so i will use one of them.

As for the case I was thinking of building my own one out of Lego Technics. Since Lego Technics has lots of holes in it, air circulation should not be a problem.

Overall goal: Make it as small and as silent as possible. Possible stretch goal: Maybe make it powerful enough to play smaller (indie) games.

So my questions are: 1. Are there any problems or things I have to keep in mind with the current build? 2. Is the linked picoPSU ok, or should I take one with less watt? I want to have at least a little bit of headroom.. 3. The current plan is to use the Intel i3 CPU, which should suffice for the PMS and even vor smaller games. Or is an i5 a better idea? This one for example: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54570s 4. Would it (in theory) be possible to insert a GPU (for playing games) in the future? Or is the PSU and the Motherboard to weak/slow for handling a gaming GPU?

Thanks in advance for your help. David

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube