add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
venomv1

62 months ago

Hi,

I am building a new tower and would like some feedback on it. The build is primarily going to be used for music production, entry level programming, as well as some VERY light gaming, if any. I am questioning whether or not that I would need a more or less powerful power supply. I am also questioning whether or not if it would be beneficial to have 8 Gb of 1866 Ram, or have 4GB of 2133. I need a lot of space for my music, but would it be beneficial to add an SSD to this build? I also would like some feedback on the motherboard, if possible. If the motherboard is not a quality one for the price, which one would be the best that is >$100.

Thank you

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $74.78 @ Newegg
Memory Kingston Fury Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $72.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.99 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $42.98 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $530.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-12 14:26 EST-0500

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I would guess he's probably using some kind of interface for recording and won't be using the computer audio anyway. The PC is probably just there for capture and editing.

I agree with all the rest. The RAM speed won't make that big a difference. I'd rather have more RAM than faster RAM.

I think you can get a better and more powerful PSU for that price anyway.

This one is cheaper, more powerful, and semi-modular. Corsair CX430

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I was looking at the CX series for a decent amount of time, and I heard that the CX series was one of the worst you could buy because they have horrible capacitors, and a terrible whine. I have heard everything of the opposite for seasonic, thus influencing my decision to grab the seasonic over the CX.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to know. :) Always pays to research each piece once you've narrowed down the specs you want.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply,

jadbgee is correct, I am using a focusrite usb audio interface as the primary audio card, I apologize for leaving that out in the original post. I have no plan to add a GPU, I plan on running this build until the CPU gives out, so would the power supply be sufficient?

Thank you

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube