add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time build - midrange gaming rig

Retributor

62 months ago

Hey all! This is my first time building a pc, and I am trying to put together a rig with some decent gaming capability, but nothing extreme (finding the sweetspot on the price/output curve is something I've been trying to do).

Budget is fairly flexible, but ideally the build would be kept relatively simple for a first timer. Hence I haven't really been looking into overclocking, for example.

This noob would definitely appreciate any thoughts you might happen to have!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.48 @ Newegg Canada
Motherboard ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $93.98 @ Newegg Canada
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $79.98 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $179.00 @ Canada Computers
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $57.98 @ DirectCanada
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card $269.99 @ NCIX
Case Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case $108.98 @ DirectCanada
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ NCIX
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.95 @ Vuugo
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1098.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-12 17:51 EST-0500

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

i dont have time to give u anything detailed but this is what im going for (might make minor ajustments e.g. ssd uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/coolpopstardude/saved/wPKkcf

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Why remove SSD..? They're awesome and I would prefer a 256GB SSD over a large 1TB HDD. I currently use a 40GB HDD believe me it's not that hard to manage (games are tricky to juggle sometimes though).

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

i ment to mine xD as in add one

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks great to me but because I'm Lachlantula I'm afraid I have to switch the HDD to a Western Digital. :P You don't have to but WDs are much more reliable than Seagate. While Hitachi (according to this report) is the most reliable, I would prefer WD because of customer service, selection, range and that more people use WD. If I were to stumble across an issue this would be helpful! Also if you have the space (it's big!) the Phanteks Enthoo Pro is the best case for the price, period. Good luck!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

That publicity stunt by Backblaze really annoys me. It shows that the 1.5tb Seagate drives made in 2008 are a bit dodgy, flaws long since fixed. It shows that running a 24*7 backup operation drives fail more, not really relevant to home users. They even concluded that their preferred drives are still Seagate.

An alternative view http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6028/dispelling-backblaze-s-hdd-reliability-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html

Working in IT as well as building at home, I've known many drives fail over the years, normally they show signs of it first, sometimes just die. The only one I've known to die spectacularly has been a WD caviar blue, burst into flames, literally.

Rant over.

On the plus side it really was a good publicity stunt, many people had not heard of them before.....

Back to topic the 840 Pro is somewhat overpriced, the Sandisk Ultra II will give you much the same performance for $50 less http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/sandisk-internal-hard-drive-sdssdhii240gg25

The I5-4590 is slightly faster and cheaper http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54590

Suggestion by Lachlantula of the Phanteks Enthoo Pro is a good one, excellent case.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

I've made a few changes based on your and others suggestions (have left the mechanical HD as is for now... still undecided on the change).

Do you have any concerns with the PSU? It looks like this 650W EVGA gold is fairly new and mostly unreviewed (I did find a few reviews for its 750W cousin).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $213.98 @ DirectCanada
Motherboard ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $87.50 @ Vuugo
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $86.99 @ Memory Express
Storage Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $124.98 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $57.98 @ DirectCanada
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card $269.99 @ NCIX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon Canada
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ NCIX
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $20.05 @ Vuugo
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1031.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-16 15:39 EST-0500
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Looking good to me. The Supernova PSU's are all pretty good at a very reasonable price, you certainly won't get anything better without spending quite a bit more. For reviews make sure you have the Supernova and not the G2, they are made by different people, the G2 being excellent but like I say more expensive, and also only 750w and up.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info! The Enthoo Pro does look like a pretty good case.

Do you have any concerns with the PSU? It looks like the 650W EVGA version is fairly new and mostly unreviewed, and the price seems decidedly inexpensive for gold certified unit.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube